PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Grades

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Grades

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:47 pm

smusic 00 wrote:
MeanGreen90 wrote:

Don't be stupid. Tony Mitchell had to complete a year of college at UNT before ever stepping on the court. During that year, he achieved B honor roll status.

Before "UNT is a JUCO" jokes start, ask yourself what Keith's GPA might be.

But did he ever receive his diploma from Pinkston while sitting out or before?

Apparently he won't answer the question. It is either a yes or no answer.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:54 pm

SMU admitted a BB recruit without a high school diploma. He had a GED/JUCO degree
Last edited by Stallion on Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ponyinNC » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:57 pm

Stallion wrote:SMU admitted a BB recruit without a high school diploma. He had a GED

Good Enough Diploma
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MeanGreen90 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:43 pm

But did he ever receive his diploma from Pinkston while sitting out or before?[/quote]

Do you really think he was admitted to any college without a high school diploma? Seriously?

I thought you guys were smarter than this. I guess not.

Not going to rehash Tony's journey to UNT. Just know that he was always in good academic standing while in college. He also received some terrible advise from a certain ex-K St head coach that put him in the predicament that led him to UNT. I guess I should be thankful to that sleezebag Frank Martin, but I just don't have it in me.

I'll leave y'all to your "masterminding" yet another coverup. 2nd game of the year will be very interesting in Football. Do us a favor, will you? Try to bring more than the 40 folks that showed up for your last home game.
MeanGreen90
Recruit

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:45 pm

MeanGreen90 wrote:But did he ever receive his diploma from Pinkston while sitting out or before?

Do you really think he was admitted to any college without a high school diploma? Seriously?

I thought you guys were smarter than this. I guess not.

Not going to rehash Tony's journey to UNT. Just know that he was always in good academic standing while in college. He also received some terrible advise from a certain ex-K St head coach that put him in the predicament that led him to UNT. I guess I should be thankful to that sleezebag Frank Martin, but I just don't have it in me.

I'll leave y'all to your "masterminding" yet another coverup. 2nd game of the year will be very interesting in Football. Do us a favor, will you? Try to bring more than the 40 folks that showed up for your last home game.[/quote]

:lol: a guy from UNT talking trash
Pony ^

Postby bsturman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:56 pm

Go back to your room at your parents house
Pony up!!!
bsturman
Junior Varsity

Postby mustang1992 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:55 pm

Does UNT actually have admission requirements?
mustang1992
All-American

Postby gostangs » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:04 pm

yes - but they really don't come into effect for about 99% of the breathing population
gostangs

Postby SMUmessageboardScreename » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:13 am

SMUmessageboardScreename wrote:I'm a huge SMU basketball fan, but I think you guys are coming off absolutely horrible in this thread and are not representing SMU very well.

Just think about SMU basketball for a second. In one year, they've gone from 15-17 (5-11 in CUSA) to 16-4 (5-2) in the quasi Big East. I'm not exactly enlightened to all of the details of exactly how each player made his way to SMU, but suddenly we have one of the deepest and most athletic teams in the whole country. We are landing big time transfers, McDonald's All American recruits, etc. I think when you tread as heavily in the recruiting waters as SMU has had to do in the last year, it comes with the territory that things are going to get questioned.

I'm not here to launch accusations at Larry Brown or staff, but you have to be a special kind of naive to think that college basketball is super clean. Whether it's something relatively "harmless" like relaxing the academic standards for athletes or helping athletes get through it with extensive tutoring, etc. (SMU clearly does this), or something more serious like outright paying the players or maliciously changing highschool grades, this stuff happens.

I've read a little bit about the Brett Shipp investigation, and it appears to me like he attempted to contact the SMU basketball program a number of times as part of his investigation and they've stonewalled him, so he showed up at the press conference asking questions. It's exactly what he's supposed to do if he's doing his job.

I have no personal knowledge of the underlying facts of his report, but the allegations with regard to Frazier's grade changing is pretty specific on exactly what was done and why it shouldn't have been done, and he states that the details are coming directly from a DISD internal audit, not his own speculation.

I think you guys are off base and out of line for spewing hate at the reporter for the mere fact he is investigating your favorite team. It's that type of illogical homerism that allowed so many people to cover up the Sandusky situation at Penn State. As an SMU alum and someone who is an ardent supporter of the SMU basketball team, my response as a fan to this investigation is that I hope Frazier and SMU did nothing wrong. But if they did, they need to face the consequences. And same thing goes for Brett Shipp. If it turns out he's reporting at a way that's out of line, he deserves to face consequences too. I hope that nothing comes of this but, frankly, I think that the fans, supporters, and the program itself owes it to themselves to be upfront, responsible and cooperative. SMU always talks about holding itself to a higher standard and here's the perfect time to do just that.

Really wish I wasn't right. I enjoyed the last two years immensely and now I have a sinking feeling that this is going to be death penalty-ish for this program. I really hope not. I never liked Larry Brown before he came to SMU, but have been very happy with our success. This sucks.
SMUmessageboardScreename
Recruit

Postby malonish » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:39 am

Shipp asked about issues with grade changing in high school. Those turned out to be false. What came after was the problem.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PerunasHoof » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:42 am

malonish wrote:Shipp asked about issues with grade changing in high school. Those turned out to be false. What came after was the problem.

What about all those posters that said we need to protect KF and essentially be like every other program in the nation. I'm too pissed off to go back and find them, but there were lots of posters that basically condoned cheating.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby SMUmessageboardScreename » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:25 pm

PerunasHoof wrote:
malonish wrote:Shipp asked about issues with grade changing in high school. Those turned out to be false. What came after was the problem.

What about all those posters that said we need to protect KF and essentially be like every other program in the nation. I'm too [deleted] off to go back and find them, but there were lots of posters that basically condoned cheating.

I got absolutely nailed to the wall for my post I quoted above. I mean one guy called me a cheesedick. Hate it that my school seems to always resort to this and its fans seem to condone it. I hope the people that were all over me in this thread last year were a vocal minority and not the average SMU fan.

I just know it sucks how this basically just wipes away all of the good feels of the last 2 years and knocks us further behind than we ever were with Matt Doherty/Jimmy Tubbs.
SMUmessageboardScreename
Recruit

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:29 pm

Shipp was talking about high school grade changes not this.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby smusportspage » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:30 pm

You are absolutely crazy if you think this wipes away all the "good feels" of the last 2 years. Not even close. Besides the fat lady has not sung on this if the school appeals. Now go climb back under your rock.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby SMUmessageboardScreename » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:21 pm

smusportspage wrote:You are absolutely crazy if you think this wipes away all the "good feels" of the last 2 years. Not even close. Besides the fat lady has not sung on this if the school appeals. Now go climb back under your rock.

You're right. You've been right all along. Things are going great for SMU hoops and everything I said was just totally wrong and off base. I'll go "crawl back into my hole"...
SMUmessageboardScreename
Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball