PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Confused??

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Confused??

Postby Bballer » Tue Dec 05, 2000 3:40 am

We almost had as many in attendance against the 324th ranked team on a Monday night as we did at the home opener against Tulane on a Saturday afternoon at the start of what is suppost to be one of SMU's best seasons in 5-10 years. Now can anyone explain that to me? And no Arkansas Pin Bluff did not travel a lot of fans, so that eliminates that excuse.
I thought we did not play like we should have. We did not look too impressive the first half. They actually were in the game until the end of the half. I am not so sure anymore as to the closeness of the UT game coming up, but I will be glued to the TV on Thursday night!

Tonight's crowd was decent for this game. It was more than I thought. I will be positive and tell the truth by saying it was nice to have that crowd for that game.
------------------
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2000!

[This message has been edited by Bballer (edited 12-05-2000).]
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Re: Confused??

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 05, 2000 9:33 am

You must be relatively young. I've been following SMU hoops since the mid 60's and can tell you we have a loyal fan base of about 1,500 who will come out no matter who we play, what the records are, etc...

After that, it's all about getting the students more enthusiastic to the point they pack the student section. In my days (1970-74) the entire courtside area was bleachers for students and was generally packed.

As for the mezanine, it will take the likes of TCU, Tulsa & Fresno to draw anywhere near capacity. There is NO QUESTION we could use a big time promotional campaign to boost attendance. These guys deserve better support, and they will get it as games become more meaningful, but throughout our history, we haven't supported the Mustangs in these December games.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Confused??

Postby ponytalk » Tue Dec 05, 2000 2:17 pm

CP-
you are right about filling up for games like TCU, Fresno, Tulsa. Unfortunatly that is what it takes. It would be nice to average 5-6k this season though. The Tulsa game last year was great, but the TCU game had way too many empty seats. I would love to have 3 true sellouts. Moody is awesome with the band and 9,500 screaming Pony fans.
ponytalk
Varsity

Return to Basketball