PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Good article from the home page

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Good article from the home page

Postby ALL4SMU » Thu Dec 07, 2000 3:58 pm

This article is linked to on the home page, but I thought I would cut and paste it here. It is a good read.

The Tennessee basketball team plays their final home game in the month of December as they host S.M.U. For the Vols, it is a chance to go 8-0 against the Mustangs who might be the best team they have face to this point in the season.

When most think of Southern Methodist University, quite honestly, they think "death penalty" from S.M.U's bout with NCAA probation.

However, Thursday night at the Thompson-Boling Arena it's Tennessee and S.M.U in basketball and according to Coach Jerry Green it will be his team's toughest match-up so far.

"I think the point will be a tough match-up," said Green. "Their point guard is about 6-4 and long. Tony and Harris are about six-foot so we give away a few inches there. He is a scoring point guard, which is different from what the Memphis point guard gave us. They are pretty good. They may be the best team we have played so far."

S.M.U enters playing basically four guards with all four averaging double figures in scoring. Green said it is their ability to score from different players and their multiple defensive schemes that create problems.

"They have a very fine basketball team," offered Green. "They are very well rounded. They are very athletic and well coached. They run their patterns and our well coached. They give you two or three different looks defensively. They run a 1-3-1 half court trap, a zone, and they double team off their man to man."

The match-up looks to be a tough one for center Charles Hathaway. The 6-10 senior center is playing the best of his Tennessee career. A year ago, Charles Hathaway likely would not be a factor because physically he could not have played against a smaller athletic team. However, a lighter more agile Hathaway now will be a factor in a miss-match of size.

"It is going to be a mix-match," said Hathaway. "The guy I am going to guard is going to be like 6-7 or 6-8. I want to push him on the offensive end. They can kick it down low to us and we can do our thing. They are going to be quicker than me, but I just have to have faith in my teammates that they will help me out."

Sophomore Ron Slay who is undersized and playing in the post loves the thought of playing against a smaller team.

"It's Perfect," said Slay. "That is exactly what we want. Athletic guys who can run and score. That is the same thing we want to do, but I think we can stop them on defense."

It is also another undefeated team that enters the arena. S.M.U. is 4-0 highlighted by an 87-58 win over Tulsa. Hathaway knows that the Mustangs like everyone else has visions of an upset over a top ten team.

"We have the bull's eye on our chest right now and everyone wants to knock us out," said Hathaway. "Hopefully, we will stay smart, play well and get a win."

The brash and always energetic Slay sees it like every other team that has come to Knoxville to play.

"It seems they are all undefeated till they walk into here," offered Slay. "Then they go out with that 'L'."

However, Jerry Green said he does not see his team overlooking the Mustangs.

"I think they are the best team we have played and if we overlook them, we are not too bright," said Green.

Notes:

S.M.U enters with highly thought of Jeryl Sasser at the shooting guard. Sasser enters the game averaging 17 points and 8 rebounds.

Point guard Damon Hancock 20 pts. 4 rebounds 5 assists
Guard Quinton Ross 12.5 pts. 7 rebounds
Guard Willie Davis 17 pts. 9 rebounds
Forward Jibran Kelley 6.8 pts. 5 rebounds

S.M.U averages just 31% from beyond the three-point arc, but is averaging 46.5 rebounds a game which is one of Tennessee's weaknesses. The Vols have given up 35 offensive rebounds the last two games.
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Re: Good article from the home page

Postby ponytalk » Thu Dec 07, 2000 8:03 pm

Correction, that thing says we beat Tulsa, I think they meant Tulane. But a good article, I think it will be a good game tonight.
ponytalk
Varsity

Return to Basketball