PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Houston

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Houston

Postby The Q » Wed Dec 13, 2000 4:34 am

How are their guards? They have size up front, but can they run with us?
The Q
Varsity

Re: Houston

Postby ALL4SMU » Wed Dec 13, 2000 6:30 am

I think, but am not certain, that Houston is in a bit of a serious transition stage right now. I have a friend that used to play center for the coogs, and he told me the team was in a bit of disarray. I don't know if that is true or not.
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby Bayou Bengal » Wed Dec 13, 2000 10:04 pm

Houston's a decent team, not a great team.
Strong and good size up front, but I don't know if they're real "athletic." My alma mater was able to neutralize their inside height advantage with better athletes that were 3-6 inches shorter.
And, SMU's guards should give them fits.
I personally think their current coach (can't remember his name) has a better idea of how to run a college program than did Clyde Drexler. As good a person as The Glide seems to be, I don't think he knew how to run a college basketball program.

[This message has been edited by PonyPride (edited 12-14-2000).]
Bayou Bengal

Postby NTXCoog » Thu Dec 14, 2000 3:41 pm

UH's team strength is definitely up front. George Williams is the man! Potential C-USA player of the year & NBA prospect. Alton Ford has unlimited talent, but is a true freshman. Was tempted to go straight to the NBA draft, but made the right decision to play a couple years in college. Okafor in the middle is a JC transfer that has improved UH's rebounding from last year.

Guard play is adequate. We desperately need an outside shooter to take some pressure off the big men. Probably won't have that until next year.

We have the youngest team in C-USA starting a true freshman, a sophomore,2 juniors & 1 senior. & we're counting on the Sophomore & Freshman to carry the team.

Now is a good time to catch UH. It's a growing program that's very up & down now. But with some good coaching (which we think we now have) we see nothing but positives in our future.
NTXCoog
Varsity

Return to Basketball