PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Slow it down and win...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Slow it down and win...

Postby bodo92 » Thu Jan 04, 2001 11:12 pm

Does Dumbhead Dement and his no-brain b-ballers not know how to slow down their game when they have a lead in the second half of a game? HOW MANY MORE GAMES DO WE HAVE TO LOSE IN THE SECOND HALF BEFORE THEY LEARN THEIR LESSON?? Slow it down and take more time off of the clock. Having a lead in the championship games does not mean it is time to showboat, but time to buckle-down, play defense and take GOOD SHOTS...If SMU doesn't go to the NCAA's this year, fire Dement please before I kill myself. I can face another season of this crap.
bodo92

Re: Slow it down and win...

Postby D » Fri Jan 05, 2001 11:52 am

I think they did a pretty good job of working the clock down the stretch besides a short period with about 5 minutes left when everyone thought they had to shoot when they got the ball. Other than that, they milked the clock in the final 4 minutes and ran their offense pretty well. SJSU pretty much shot lights out when the shot clock got down to less than 5 for about three minutes and we were matching them with Damon's 3, Sasser's runners and free throws and a number of other buckets. I think the SJSU style will give us trouble when we head out there, but hopefully we have seen it enough to know how to beat it. I can see SJSU pulling off some big upsets. They really lull teams to sleep and have some decent players.
D
Varsity

Re: Slow it down and win...

Postby Bballer » Fri Jan 05, 2001 2:34 pm

I think you are on to something here, bodo92. Our lack of controlling the clock might have been what cost us on the OU and Tennessee game. But then again, there were other things that cost us those games also.

You are right about the showboating. Sasser especially. He is not going to get picked early in the draft by showboating and not playing fundamental basketball.

What we need is a great game this Saturday on TV to re-establish ourselves on big time TV.

------------------
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2000!
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Return to Basketball