PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Halftime

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Halftime

Postby Bballer » Sun Jan 14, 2001 1:00 am

36-34 FSU. Great run by SMU at the end of the half. I have a question? Why is Sasser in the game? He has killed us offensively. When Hancock took over, that is when we made our run.

Nigel came in and got a turnover. Clearly a fact of him still not being used to the court. Looks like the games where we had a clear victory and Dement kept him on the bench--not letting him get some playing time have not paid off.

Well, I am hoping we keep the momentum going into the second half.

Let Damon take over and hopefully Quinton will catch fire, and keep the ball away from Sasser until he decides to get his head in the game and we are golden!

------------------
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2000!
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Re: Halftime

Postby Bballer » Sun Jan 14, 2001 2:08 am

We have lost 4 games. Tennessee, OU, Nebraska, and FSU. The four biggest of the year.

Are we just a mediocre team? We won't go to the tournament like this. We are yet to win a big, important game.

I see a lot of flaws in the team.
-Sasser's ego and lack of team play
-our lack of a big man
-our lack of defending a big man
-our lack to execute in important games
-our lack of motivation.

92-86 was the final. This is disturbing.

------------------
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2000!
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Postby ponytalk » Sun Jan 14, 2001 3:25 pm

You said it. We did not look good last night and FSU looked awesome. I hope Tulsa and TCU are not near as good as FSU, but I hear TCU is a solid team and they will be ready to play.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Jan 14, 2001 4:31 pm

The first half comeback was impressive but all too often I see the Mustangs come out flat in big games. How in the world do you expect to beat the Oklahoma's like that??
For instance the TCU games last year we came out not hitting...I think the key for SMU is to come out taking high percentage shots..you'll never win a game going O for 8 or whatever..Hopefully they'll gain some confidence..take it game by game and stop talking about the tourney and take care of business. Unfortunately the Mustangs didn't have Ross or David making their shots. We just went very cold for a long while. Sasser need to control himself as well..I don't know what he is thinking half the time.

I think the lack of the big man was OK. You have to stick Forinash out there as he did an OK job at stopping them. Is Niemi out for a while? I didn't quite understand playing Smith at the point he did. Anyway, we looked timid and scared and definately can't do that if they expect to go anywhere.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponytalk » Mon Jan 15, 2001 12:04 am

Niemi has a broken hand or finger or something like that. I think Nigel should be playing more, just not in a game like this. Although, I thought Nigel did pretty well, with the exception of the tournover he had his first time down the court.
ponytalk
Varsity

Return to Basketball