PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Calling Simpson and Castro

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Calling Simpson and Castro

Postby SMUguy » Sun Jan 14, 2001 1:55 am

Can't wait for the two big guys to get here next year. Nigel Smith clearly isn't back from his facial surgery that kept him out last season, and Forinash obviously isn't in shape -- he gets winded way too easily. We've stood and watched a lot of alley-oop dunks tonight, and haven't boxed out once. Fresno has had way too many easy dunks and put-backs. We need the big guys to show up next year and pick up our inside game.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Re: Calling Simpson and Castro

Postby Bballer » Sun Jan 14, 2001 2:11 am

Nigel needs game time experience, we cannot expect him to play big in big games. Dement, this is for you take care of. Nigel needs to get his experience in smaller games. You have not provided him with this opportunity.

------------------
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2000!
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Postby Vitale » Sun Jan 14, 2001 2:16 am

Damn, we need a big guy -- or three.
DeWayne Floyd was the only big guy who played even decent against Fresno State, and he was overmatched. He has long arms and works hard, but most of his points came when the game was out of reach. That Eli guy for Fresno State was working him over like our men's soccer team did against most of the teams they killed this year. Floyd needs to be playing small forward -- or some kind of forward in our perimeted-based offense. Making play center is cruel - he looks like he's never seen the weight room.
Vitale
All-American

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 14, 2001 2:17 am

Jibran Kelley wasn't bad tonight, either.

Postby Horseshoe » Sun Jan 14, 2001 2:20 am

All year I've heard about how we've been outrebounding opponents, even when we played a big team like Tennessee. WHERE WAS THAT TONIGHT? We sat and watched the Bulldogs rule the boards tonight. No idea what the final rebound totals were, but they couldn't have been pretty. I bet FSU had almost as many second shots as we had shots overall. As long as we have someone 6-4 (Willie Davis) playing power forward and someone as thin as Floyd playing the center spot, we will not be able to rebound against a team with a big, strong, inside guy like Eli.

[This message has been edited by Horseshoe (edited 01-13-2001).]
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 14, 2001 10:59 am

Statistically, we were only out-rebounded 39-36, but their big men did dominate the boards. The more interesting stat is that they had 27 assists to our 13. While SMU tends to play a lot of one-on-one basketball, Fresno without Courteney Alexander has become a better TEAM.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mullet Mike » Sun Jan 14, 2001 2:59 pm

Have you gys ever seen simpson? I have and he's not the answer on the blocks, at all. in fact, he is a soft PF in high school. Kid has a world of talent, sadly, its all at the small forward slot.
Mullet Mike

Postby ponytalk » Sun Jan 14, 2001 3:21 pm

Someone told me that Castro is the real deal. He is every bit of 6-8 and is strong.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby 91Stang » Sun Jan 14, 2001 4:47 pm

MulletMike - love your ponyfans.com name!
HOCKEY'S BACK!
91Stang
Varsity

Postby PonyFan » Sun Jan 14, 2001 4:50 pm

I didn't think Forinash looked that bad. He's getting back in shape as he plays -- there's nothing we can do about that. But he had a nice block on Eli and altered a few more shots. In this offense, he'll never take too many shots away from Sasser, Davis, Hancock, etc., so we can't sit here and expect him to put up too many points. But if he blocks a few shots, alters some more and gets some rebounds -- and makes his fouls count by hammering people who come down the lane -- then I like the big fella.

Keep it up, Jon!
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby Mullet Mike » Sun Jan 14, 2001 7:22 pm

ponytalk, Eric Castro is a big-bodied kid w/excellent hands and a few low post moves already. He may well provide the bulk. Simpson was too good a player/athlete to pass up. I'm sure the staff would have liked Erek hansen in the pivot along side Castro. His commitment to Iowa, and Simpson being the better player, made the blow lessen. That said, Castro is a straight power forward. Simpson has 3pt range and beautiful touch. He sometimes brings the ball up in high school. Decent handle for a kid 6-9. Anyway the staff cuts it, they have talent and size in Castro/Simpson. What they don't have is a center, making it priority one next year.

Hopefully, it'll be Forinash/Kelley/Smith in the middle. The middle can be full of warm bodies as long as either Castro or Simpson can help on offense at the 4
Mullet Mike

Postby ponytalk » Sun Jan 14, 2001 11:39 pm

Mullet Mike-
First, I must agree with 91stang, great name.

Second, you seem to know your stuff. Where do you get your info? Are you an SMU student, grad, or just a Pony Fan?

I hope to see some more info from you on the board!
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby Mullet Mike » Mon Jan 15, 2001 1:56 am

Mullet Mike will only reveal that he is a grad. Also, Mike is involved in AAU ball and has many basketball ties both regionally and nationally. If Mike comments on a player, Mike has seen the player. Otherwise, it will be noted or expressly implied. Thanx for the inquiry.

Mulet Mike was here!
Mullet Mike

Postby Hoofprint » Tue Jan 23, 2001 9:48 pm

Can't wait for these two to get here. We had NO inside offense last night -- except when Sasser drove the lane. Give me some tall guys who can score!
Hoofprint
All-American

Return to Basketball