PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Big games

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Big games

Postby PonyPower » Sun Jan 14, 2001 2:30 am

Why are we 0-4 against the big four opponents we've played this year? Nebraska, which beat us by one, smoked Texas today. And there's no way we should have lost to Fresno State. As bad as we played, we still got close.

But close is getting old. We need to keep Sasser under control in important games. His shot selection kills us in big games.
PonyPower
All-American

Re: Big games

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 14, 2001 10:50 am

Just might be because all of those opponents (except Nebraska) got to play us on their home courts (or home town in the case of OU). Let's see how we do when these teams come to Moody...and let's hope more than 3,000 come out to see it!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponytalk » Sun Jan 14, 2001 3:23 pm

CP-
A home crowd and court helps, but big time teams must be able to win on the road. Our biggest games will come in the WAC tourney and maybe the NCAA tourney, and those are not at home. We cannot use being on the road as an excuse.

The way we are playing now we will get creamed in the WAC and never even see the NIT.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 14, 2001 6:04 pm

Well, sometimes the truth hurts...but we are NOT a big time team yet. We clearly lack an inside presence that our opponents have to respect on EITHER the offensive or defensive end of the court. So, the best we can realistically hope for is to win all our home games and hopefully beat San Jose, Rice & Hawaii on the road. That would leave us 12-4 and very much in the hunt for a WAC crown, IMO.

Are we capable of winning at TCU, Tulsa or UTEP? Sure we are, but we could also lose at Moody to those guys and Fresno. We're probably in the top 20 of Division I basketball schools, which makes us a very competitive program...just not what I'd call "big time".
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 14, 2001 6:06 pm

Meant to say top 20%, meaning we might be worthy of the field of 64. Certainly not top 20!
Charleston Pony

Postby SMUPonyFan » Mon Jan 15, 2001 12:56 am

CP-
I think you said something that needed to be said. We are not a big time team...YET. We do not do what big timers do. We are a very good team. We can compete with anyone, I believe, but we lack what it takes to finish teams off and take the extra step in beating the big teams.

I think it was Pony Fan who mentioned high percentage shots. That is something that Sasser and Davis lack. I will admit, we all love it when they hit the spectacular shots, but it would pay off a lot more if they gained the self control to pass the ball or reposition for more accuracy.

By the way, I must ask this. How many ally-oops did FSU have last night. That was unbelievable. That shows that we had no one big enough or aggressive enough down low to stop the oop. It was a dunk contest, and FSU took all the turns.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Return to Basketball