PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jeryl vs. UTEP

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Jeryl vs. UTEP

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 23, 2001 1:51 pm

The man was incredible against the Miners last night!
39 points!
7 three-pointers!
111 rebounds!

If only he'd had a little help

Re: Jeryl vs. UTEP

Postby Bballer » Tue Jan 23, 2001 2:38 pm

I disagree with you and I disagree with Rana Cash's article in some points.

Yes, Jeryl had an awesome period of great play. But in the first half we were winning the game, the only times UTEP looked to be in the game in the first half was when Sasser hogged the ball. He is not a team player, he showed us that last night. He also showed that he is a streaky player and when he is on a streak he can carry a team and when he is off he kills the team.

I want to give Sasser credit though. He hustled his butt off last night. Even before he hit all those threes. He fought hard for rebounds and made some great plays, even made a couple nice passes. But every time I wanted to say how much better he looked, he came down and jacked up some three pointer five feet behind the line or turned the ball over etc. His game is not complete. Yes it is awesome hitting 7 threes in a game, but the NBA can get people to do that any day of the week. Sasser needs to start working on higher percentage shots and raising his assists. Become a team player Sass and you will make yourself more valuable.

Yes it was him vs UTEP in the second half, but him shooting every time down the court killed us. He raised the tempo of the game way too high for us and the rest of SMU could not keep up or get into the game. He took the rest of the team out of the game and tried to take over. That is what lost the game. He needs to realize that threes will not fall forever, after he missed a couple, start dishing it out and let the team finish what Sasser started.

This is frustrating because yes he played a great game, but he also played a lousy game where it counts, team and win.

------------------
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2000!
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Postby Bballer » Tue Jan 23, 2001 2:44 pm

Oh yeah, SasserRules, can you tell me how many turnovers, missed shots, and assists he had? He was too busy shooting to pass the ball. Also, his quick trigger did not allow us to get back from transition to rebound his missed shots.

Overall, Sasser proved the theory that one against five on the basketball court does not and will not win games. Just compare SMU vs UTEP 1st half and SMU vs UTEP 2nd half. You will find what you need to validate my theory.

------------------
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2000!
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Postby Dement-ed » Tue Jan 23, 2001 4:45 pm

True, Jeryl had some cold streaks against the Miners. But I'll take 39 from him every night.
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Jan 25, 2001 4:59 pm

I have to aggee with Bballer. I wince every time I see Sasser pull up a 3 pointer with nobody under the basket. It happens 4-5 times a game. We take a lead and everything is going great and then he jacks a 3 and misses and gives the other team a chance to come back and the momentum shifts. What are you doing Sasser?? Be a team player!He isn't going to make it in the NBA doing that.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball