PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU vs Nevada

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU vs Nevada

Postby SMUPonyFan » Fri Jan 26, 2001 2:58 pm

I thought it was a good game and a very important one also. A loss to them would have finished us. We played really great defense.
I think we look like a pretty poor team right now. It does not seem we have too much chemistry. When Damon is on the bench, everything goes down the drain. He is truly the leader. I saw Dement explode during a timeout because no one would run the plays he would call. Discipline will take us to the NCAA, but we don't have that right now, so my 2 cents says we will not make it.
I think Forinash and Smith are improving every game. They are not powerhouses...yet, but they are making a difference out there.
I want DeWayne to have a big game soon, he gets the crowd and everything going. Also, Jibran had a great game. He is undersized for his position and is playing aggressive and strong basketball.
We are almost there, but the steps to being a great team are big ones.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Re: SMU vs Nevada

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Jan 26, 2001 3:08 pm

Yes, this was the breaker as far as NCAA's and NIT. I think the defense was pretty good also. And I agree things are really clicking right now. It does appear as if they don't want to listen to Dement and who knows if he and Sasser even have a relationship by the looks of things. We seem to have gone from good in the beginning of the season to deteorating and I can't figure out why. Against Tenn. we looked unstoppable in the first half..what happened to that team..doesn't seem like the same team. What happened to Hancock's solid 20pts every outing?
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Jan 26, 2001 3:17 pm

"And I agree things are really clicking right now"

Obviously I meant "aren't clicking" in my previous post.

Anyone heading to TCU game. I am going on the Letterman bus...

GO Ponies!!
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Vitale » Fri Jan 26, 2001 3:36 pm

The defense was awesome with a capital A. Rebounding was better, especially with Jibran Kelley and Willie Davis, but not good enough to beat top competition. When we play such a small lineup, we need everyone crashing the boards, including Hancock and Sasser, who are exceptional rebounders for their size.

Jon Forinash and Nigel Smith looked good against Rice last week, but they hardly played against UTEP and Rice. But that was not an indication they're doing anything wrong, or because of matchups. The reason they played so much (and so well) against Rice was because Floyd got into foul trouble. But it's encouraging that they got the job done. Let see some more out of the big guys.
Vitale
All-American

Return to Basketball