PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU TCU game

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU TCU game

Postby Bballer » Sat Jan 27, 2001 10:48 pm

Besides humiliation and anger, I do not know what to think. I hate losing to TCU. The chant the students were doing--"cross town whipping boys"--is becoming fitting. Didn't we lose to them twice last year? We have lost to them the past two years in football, and we will probably loose to them again in football next year and if we don't get our act together in basketball we will lose to them again on March 3rd in Moody. So we are basically becoming the whipping boys.

We look so good at some points in the basketball game that we can compete and win against any team in America, then we blow it. I hate doing this, but Sasser, once again, missed some crucial free throws at the end of the game. He did this in OT last year against Tulsa, he did this against Tennessee, and he did it again tonight.

I don't know what the answer is. I think Sasser should not be playing the whole game. The DMN article on Sasser and Dement was great. Great writing by Rana Cash on a great topic that a lot of people are discussing. I think it is interesting to hear that Sasser thinks he has failed, but yet when he is on the court he is too cocky.

I am rambling, we need to start winning BIG games. We have not won ONE BIG GAME this year. NOT ONE!

------------------
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2000!
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Re: SMU TCU game

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Jan 28, 2001 3:35 am

I just didn't get it...Went to the game this afternoon. We looked decent on the outset...but nobody was moving around for the basketball..no team unity whatsoever. I think this team has already packed it up for the season. I am also beginning to wonder what is up with Dement. His substitutions were rather strange. Forinash was playing ok and at least had some presence for a while....Kelly played decent but got into foul trouble. Davis was nowhere on the boards..and we missed about 8 lay ups. I am just getting really frustrated with this team..We have the same core of players yet we looked much better last season at this time. As Bballer mentioned, Sasser still can't hit a dang free throw in the important moments. He missed 2 free throws which would have tied the game at 83 pts and TCU took it down the floor and were up by 4 points and didn't look back.

TCU lost to Rice for crying out loud. Man, I hate TCU Image

Bye, bye NIT or NCAA....unfortunately I had high expectations this year which have been blown!
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 28, 2001 10:32 am

don't pack it in just yet. Remember, we are still the only WAC team that is undefeated at home this year. Granted, that may be because we haven't played any "big games" at Moody yet, but never underestimate the home court advantage. Let's just hope we get strong crowds for Tulsa, UTEP, Fresno & TCU. We need a strong finish to get a high seeding for the WAC tourney in order to have any hopes of post-season play, IMO.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponytalk » Sun Jan 28, 2001 1:06 pm

Every big game we have played so far has been the exact same. We come out strong in the beginning and then blow it at the end. I don't think this team has packed it up, I hope the fans haven't, something has got to change though, we have to play 40 full minutes of basketball. That is what we are not doing. Our defense falls apart, or our shooting falls apart, or our rebounding, etc. We need to keep it together for a WHOLE game. We are yet to do that. I don't even think we can do that against a bad team. In every game we have played, the other team has been in it at one point.
ponytalk
Varsity

Return to Basketball