PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Crowd

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Crowd

Postby Bballer » Sat Jan 27, 2001 10:52 pm

SMU had a good showing of fans today! BUT, why can't Moody look like TCU? That place was full. Where is our support?

------------------
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2000!
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Re: Crowd

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 28, 2001 10:34 am

official attendance was 6,720. Sure hope we draw better than that on frogs' return visit March 3rd. I think last year's game drew close to 8,000.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponytalk » Sun Jan 28, 2001 1:00 pm

How many does TCU's arena hold? It looked pretty full, but bballer was right, there was a nice showing of SMU fans. I liked it when we started and overpowered TCU fans with the "S-M-U" chant. That was nice.
CP, you are correct, we need to bring 8-9,000 on March 3rd to Moody, and we need to get the thousands warmed up by having 7-8,000 for Fresno, UTEP, and Tulsa. We need revenge on all of these teams!
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Mon Jan 29, 2001 12:13 am

To answer your question, TCU's Daniel-Meyer Coliseum (known as DMC in Cowtown) seats 7,211. Moody's capacity is just under 9,000. Today's FW Startlegram (newspaper) coverage of the SMU/TCU game indicated that the SMU crowd was sizeable and very loud, at least while we were ahead. Guys, fan support for the Ponies will be there at Moody when we get our act together on the court and play up to our potential.

[This message has been edited by H-E-B Mustang (edited 01-28-2001).]
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Jan 29, 2001 2:03 am

I went to the game. Daniel-Meyer is a circular arena so it didn't feel like 7,000 + to me...it seems a little smaller than that. Thanks to the buses we got a decent crowd at TCU. We were seated behind the basket starting the SMU chants....I am not sure why fans don't get excited at Moody as it is a great old place. I hope we can get a good home crowd for the upcoming games..it would be nice to get more students and alum's to show up. Unfortunately it seems to be a trickle up theory I guess as well as the big sports market in Dallas. It seems as if the Mavs play at home every time we have a game at Moody.

I would love to see us at least beat TCU at home. We have some huge games coming up at home. Show your support!!
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUPonyFan » Mon Jan 29, 2001 2:26 pm

SMU basketball crowds usually pick up around big time WAC games. I have faith in the fair weather fans of SMU to show up for the remaining games against Tulsa, Fresno, and TCU. I doubt we will have a great crowd against UTEP because people don't see that as a big game, but we need a lot of support for that one, they handed it to us in El Paso.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Return to Basketball