PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Walk ons

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Walk ons

Postby Bballer » Wed Jan 31, 2001 1:20 am

I heard a fan yelling behind the bench to put in the walk ons because the game was over. There were three minutes left. This fan is right. I think it is disrespectful to the three walkons not to play them. I think they would rather not play than be put in with 1 minute left in a blowout. I feel bad for them and Dement needs to give them some respect for their efforts.

These guys work just as hard, if not harder, as the rest of the team and they deserve to play.

------------------
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2000!
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Re: Walk ons

Postby GrapevineMustang » Wed Jan 31, 2001 12:45 pm

Not only would it be a "thank you" to the walk-ons for all their work, it also would get the regulars some more rest. Think how Forinash must have felt at the end, when he was out there with a freshman and three walk-ons for the final minute or two.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby ponytalk » Wed Jan 31, 2001 1:59 pm

That is flat out disrespect for them. I remember last year Dement would put Nabity and Broer in for the last 15 seconds. What a jacka** Dement can be. Playing someone for 15 seconds is a slap in the face and says that he has no confidence or respect for these guys.

Get working walk-ons, it will pay off sometime, maybe when Dement is no longer the coach.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby HouStang » Fri Feb 23, 2001 6:59 pm

Dement is an idiot. He has a lack of respect for everyone except the media, whose [deleted] he kisses. The only people he respects are his top players, and they don't respect him back. I agree, these guys are putting in hard time going to practice everyday, and why not give them some PT if the game is not close. Dement needs to do us a favor and leave SMU.

[This message has been edited by HouStang (edited 02-23-2001).]
HouStang
Recruit

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 25, 2001 11:16 am

we have scholarship players earning very few minutes. The walk-ons are last in line for playing time. They are not as likely to help us down the road as Voc & Lowe. When you walk on, you understand that. I almost walked-on when I was at SMU 30 yrs ago, but it was understood you were there ONLY to make sure there were enough bodies to practice. I was told "no road trips" and that's when we were in the SWC.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rambo » Mon Feb 26, 2001 3:45 pm

You can't say that the scholarship players didn't play at Tulsa. Every one of them had double-digit minutes (Nigel only had 9). the walk-ons definitely deserved to play the last few minutes, hell the last half. Its exciting to cheer for the walk-ons. Dement should have sat Willie, Sass and Q down in the plast 5 or 6 minutes. They need to rest up before TCU and the WAC tourney. Give the walk-ons a chance this year. Next year we won't have them. We only lose 2 seniors and we gain 4 freshman. I say let 'em play Dement!
Viva Ponyball!!!!!
Rambo
Junior Varsity

Return to Basketball