PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How important was this win?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

How important was this win?

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 04, 2001 11:43 am

This win over Tulsa is bigger than meets the eye. For starters, we broke a 9 game losing streak to Tulsa dating back to the '62-63 season. We did it in front of the biggest crowd so far this year (meaning hopefully the word will spread and we could have even better turnouts for UTEP, Fresno and of course, the "purple menace" from the town of cow!

This win was huge because it helps our guys strengthen the attitude that "we will not be beaten in Moody". I think it's critical to our NCAA hopes to go unbeaten at home (remember, the selection committee looks at how a team does in it's last 10 games and we could pick up 4 impressive wins at Moody).

Finally, this win tells our guys they can win on a night they shoot poorly. The key was the Mustangs' defensive intensity, and that's all about wanting it more than the other guy. Those of you in attendance get an "assist" in this win. I don't think there is any question but that the crowd's enthusiasm and encouragement helped our guys maintain the necessary energy level those last 5 minutes.

As coach Tubbs said in his post game interview: "that crowd was great...I hope they come back".
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: How important was this win?

Postby ponytalk » Sun Feb 04, 2001 1:02 pm

I had forgotten that Dement had never beaten Tulsa. That makes the win even better. We can take down UTEP and TCU, but I am worried about Tark and the Fresno Dogs. We are really going to have to focus on these games. 12-0 IN MOODY!

Maybe a few more lousy frat boys will turn out for these upcoming games. I sure hope they had fun at their high school formals.
ponytalk
Varsity

Return to Basketball