PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

All-WAC teams

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

All-WAC teams

Postby Dement-ed » Mon Mar 05, 2001 12:28 pm

Ponies got ripped off. I can see Sasser on the second team, and Hancock slid from early Player of the Year favorite with his late-season dropoff. But Q Ross deserved to be second team, and definitely should have been on the all-Defensive team. His defense was crucial to the Ponies this year. Q was our MVP this season.
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Re: All-WAC teams

Postby ponytalk » Mon Mar 05, 2001 1:29 pm

I will have to agree with you, Q was gypped.

I think Voc could have gotten some new comer recognition if he had played more, but Dement never gave him a true chance until Tulsa and then again in TCU. Voc had two good games, both of those games he played a lot on minutes, unlike any other time this year.
ponytalk
Varsity

Re: All-WAC teams

Postby D » Thu Mar 08, 2001 12:48 pm

Not sure I agree with you about Sasser being on the second team. Sasser was in the Top 5 in Points, rebounds, assists/turnover ratio, 6th in assists, and top 10 in steals. He also led the WAC in offensive rebounds and was in the top 5 for defensive rebounds. Granted his shooting percentage wasn't the best in the league (what guard is top 10 in shooting percentage?), but you can't find a player in the WAC that ranks as high in so many statistical categories. I would say he deserved to be on the first team over Predag and Jeffries when you look at their overall contribution to the team. I would also think that any coach in the WAC, if given the chance, would pick Sasser over these two. Could it be that he gets held to a higher standard because of the high expectations going into the season?
D
Varsity

Return to Basketball