PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Over rated?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Over rated?

Postby ponytalk » Mon Mar 05, 2001 1:31 pm

Does anyone think that maybe we were over rated this year?

We had high expectations for what seems to be a bad TEAM. Don't take that wrong, we have great players but we have no TEAM.

I think that was looked over and the quality of our players was looked at. We could win a lot of one on one games, but unfortunately for us, basketball is a team sport. It takes 5 people playing together.
ponytalk
Varsity

Re: SMU Over rated?

Postby Vitale » Mon Mar 05, 2001 2:12 pm

Of course we were overrated. The Morning News had us listed No. 23 at the beginning of the year, but that was a shameless plug for the locals to sell papers -- just like their preseason football ranking of TCU (which was what, No. 11 or something? HA!) What we had this year was a talented team led by a couple of me-first wannabe stars. Next year will be better. Nobody is taking away from what Sasser and Davis accomplished here, but Patrick Simpson will be ready to start the day he gets here, and Q and Damon will be real team leaders. Next year, finally, is SMU's year. Bank on it.
Vitale
All-American

Postby 43FAN » Mon Mar 05, 2001 2:22 pm

I don't think we were overrated this year...but ran into some walls we didn't forsee being there. We started the year on a huge high note with all those wins and such a good showing against Tennesee and Oklahoma. However, the spark just seemed to fade and I think after having taked to a certain #43 about it, they just don't seem to want to play for Dement anymore. He does not have their respect, so he does not have their support either. Dement has been able to get the talent here, just hasn't been able to do anything with it. So overrated no. Underachieving yes. It is time we did something about this so we as a program can gain the respect we deserve.
43FAN

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Mar 05, 2001 5:28 pm

Well...according to #43, if they don't respect him and he doesn't respect them....we're not really able to go anywhere and they won't want to play for him and give their best effort.

True??

Overrated..that is hard to say... Based on last years play and the same core of folks...the quality of players was there...they just didn't perform to expectations and neither did the team concept. If we played anywhere near the level of play the 1st half of the Tennesse game...this would be a different story. The frustrating part was seeing signs of being a really good team and never getting there.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mullet Mike » Wed Mar 07, 2001 2:54 pm

We were overrated w/o question. We brought back everyone minus our 4yr PG. We added two kids who will be excellent players. Unfortunately, VOC was hurt very early and never got his wheels back. Yes, jacked up some impressive bombs, but he has another gear.

Remember, last year was Dements first on the trail where he actually went after everyone in TX w/a national profile. Got hurt by the Brandon Crump and Andy Ikeakors of the world. Heck, Tom Timmermans could have helped in the frontcourt. In those battles, going to lose more than win.

Basically, this team lost more than it gained and faded miserably last year. We brought alot back, but we lost our most crucial player, our PG, and didn't improve in the frontcourt.

BTW, I see lots of people praising DeWaybne on this board. What a joke. Floyd is the teams biggest underachiever and malcontent. He only enjoys playing when he is playing a game. Doesn't work onhis game,or in the weightroom. He may bring energy on the court, but his work-ethic is worse than poor. Kids like DeWayne are why we "underachieve." He has talent and raw skills. He' does nothing to develop them, so I hope he gets a degree. Thats all Mullet is saying about DeWayne and his opinions. They aren't worth the LOI his name is signed on.
Mullet Mike

Postby 43FAN » Wed Mar 07, 2001 7:00 pm

You just tell me when it comes down to it, who do you want in a crucial moment.....Mike Neimi (who shoots about 30% from the line), Jon Fornash (who cannot make a shot for his life and is not strong enough to rebound against 75% of the bigmen in the WAC), or DeWayne Floyd (who is the most athletic and energetic player we have as a bigman).

See you guys at Humperdinks....
43FAN

Postby Mullet Mike » Wed Mar 07, 2001 7:52 pm

I'd rather have Dewayne on the floor. However, Dewayne needs to be a big boy and actually give a damn. Tell him, from Mullet Mike, to hit the weights, get a low post move, stop jacking up bombs, and work on being a mature talent his last year.

Instead of bashing the other big guys for being no talents, maybe deWayne should use his
Mullet Mike

Postby D » Thu Mar 08, 2001 12:27 pm

I think I would take Jibran over any of the others. But, given your choices, I would rather have Niemi. You never know what kind of shot Dewayne might jack up. At least with Niemi, you know he is going to be on the blocks or at the most shoot a 10 ft jumper.
As for Jon, I hope that the offseason gives him a chance to work on his footwork and develop the skills he learned in Hawaii. He never seemed comfortable this year after coming back from injury.
I also agree with Mullet Mike. Dewayne has the athleticism, but is too erratic. He needs to hit the weight room, give 100% in practice and play within himself. I like his enthusiasm in games, but if its not there in practice, as you mentioned, then that's a problem. Hopefully, he will turn it around cause we need the depth inside.
D
Varsity

Return to Basketball