PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Substitutions?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Substitutions?

Postby Vitale » Mon Mar 05, 2001 2:23 pm

I didn't understand some of Dement's substitutions against the little froggies. Bringing Kris Lowe off the bench cold when we're trailing with two minutes left? Using Niemi AND Nigel Smith in the waning minutes? (I know Willie D and Jibran had fouled out, but where was Forinash? Or maybe go with an all-guard lineup, since our big guys couldn't stop Davenport anyway?)
Vitale
All-American

Re: Substitutions?

Postby 43FAN » Mon Mar 05, 2001 3:54 pm

I see Dement's reasoning in subbing in Lowe. He is a workhorse, more so in my eyes than Big Fornash. I think K-Lowe will bring a lot to the team in the future. I just didn't see Fornash getting done what needed to be done. As for Nigel, he has a lot of work to do in the offseason to be a real asset for next year, but the potential is there for him to put in some worthwhile minutes for the Ponies.
43FAN

Postby D » Tue Mar 06, 2001 7:35 pm

I thought the same thing about Kris coming in when he did. Voc, who played a good game, was sitting on the bench at the time and would have been a better substitution in my opinion. That leaves us a little small, but we had Niemi in there to cover the big man and everyone else just needs to match up.
I agree Kris will bring a lot to this team. He just never got a chance to show much this year which was a shame because I would have liked for him to have gotten more experience. He really only got garbage minutes besides Tulsa and SJSU which don't really count cause they were blowouts. Early in the season, he looked really sharp and I look forward to him being a big contributor next year.
D
Varsity

Postby Rambo » Wed Mar 07, 2001 2:20 pm

I think the reason Dement put in Lowe was that he has some size and can put the rock in the hole. Forinash simply can't. But hey, since when has anyone understood Dement's substitution patterns?!?
Viva Ponyball!!!!!
Rambo
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Mar 07, 2001 3:39 pm

Yes, there is no question his substitutions are very strange at times. We are on a roll and then he pulls someone or someone is playing poorly and he keeps them in.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball