PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Season ticket sellout?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Season ticket sellout?

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:43 am

Mustang11 wrote:This thread is dumb cause it does not factor in price raise....if SMU decides to raise the prices a lot then there will be some fall out. Just be happy the team is doing a great job after coming out of slump/disappointment and move on....

Sorry to waste your time with this dumb thread.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby malachi896 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:47 am

I think the idea will be to maximize as many season ticket holders as possible. The increase in price will see some attrition as not everyone will renew at the higher price points. Also, with the higher costs, some people won't go to every game and will sell more on stubhub to subsidize their costs of a season ticket. This will ensure single game tickets for those that would like to go. Friends of mine that have Mavs season tickets have been doing that for years. That being said, I have no interest selling any of my SMU tickets no matter the price point, but there will be plenty of people that will follow the above model.
malachi896
Varsity

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:48 am

2ndandlong wrote:Very unlikely there will be a price raise this year since there was a price raise last year that was very substantial.

They've already indicate that there would be a slight ticket price increase next year but donation level will stay the same. My guess is between 5-12% bump in prices. Don't care, even with a bump of that size still will be dollar for dollar one of the best buys in Dallas area sports entertainment. Also don't think a price increase will effect demand. Smu is not short on well heeled fans and moody is small. I'm glad I got in on the ground floor (got tickets this year) as season tickets will be tough to get if you don't have the right of renewal as there are lots of people who will throw money at it to get in. For instance I know some individual attorneys that have tickets but wouldn't be surprised to see some of the bigger Dallas law firms acquiring tickets to throw to junior partners, and associates for client development. This year proved that an smu basketball game can be an event that is fun and draws interest from people not associated with the school, corporate ticket holders will now follow.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby malachi896 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:50 am

2ndandlong wrote:Very unlikely there will be a price raise this year since there was a price raise last year that was very substantial.

I think the Red seats won't see much of a raise. Those are already on par with the premiere programs in the country. However, a lot of the blue seats are now under market value. The big increases will be in those sections.
malachi896
Varsity

Postby Mustangsabu » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:56 am

I was told by the AD last year that they were going to hold steady on the tickets after this year with the exception of perhaps a small increase (this is in reference to the red seats). But from RH's recent statements it is clear that they are re-evaluating this in light of the obviously huge demand. I expect that the upper bowl will become significantly more expensive but I am hopeful that the red seats will not price me out completely. I know there is a long waiting list of people who would willingly pay a lot more for my seats but I'll throw a fit if they shaft me. My seats went from $360 each to over $1400 (factoring in the donation) in two years.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustang11 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:03 am

Mustangsabu wrote:I was told by the AD last year that they were going to hold steady on the tickets after this year with the exception of perhaps a small increase (this is in reference to the red seats). But from RH's recent statements it is clear that they are re-evaluating this in light of the obviously huge demand. I expect that the upper bowl will become significantly more expensive but I am hopeful that the red seats will not price me out completely. I know there is a long waiting list of people who would willingly pay a lot more for my seats but I'll throw a fit if they shaft me. My seats went from $360 each to over $1400 (factoring in the donation) in two years.

Don't forget that a lot of games were being played in Garland....I am just saying do not be surprised if there is an increase. Rick Hart even tweeted that they were re evaluating the prices and will let everyone know mid April.
Mustang11
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU Section F » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:39 pm

Can we please not talk about this? It makes me nervous. I've had my tickets since I graduated , but I know there's plenty of people with considerably more $$$$$ that would kill to take them. And I can't really begrudge the athletic department trying to maximize revenues. I just try not to think about that aspect and enjoy the ride.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby 2ndandlong » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:52 pm

Make your money back on stubhub
"This is . . . dedication to distraction by fans. Is that what I'm going to go with Jay?"
"That poor kid has to be wondering what is dad doing."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XknLDwj0dSo
2ndandlong
Hall of Famer

Postby OhioBrownFan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:21 pm

The prices of the actual tickets are going to increase very little. But the donation levels increases on premium seating areas and putting donations on seats that didn't have them prior is what they're looking at doing this year. Also, they will NEVER sell every seat in the stadium as a season ticket holder, so that won't be happening either.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby diamond_tom » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:31 pm

I heard they were considering requiring new season ticket buyers to have their minimum donation level equivalent to the number of tickets bought. 4 tickets in the $500 minimum sections equals a $2000 level donation.
diamond_tom
All-American

Postby RE Tycoon » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:56 pm

Mustang11 wrote:

Don't forget that a lot of games were being played in Garland....I am just saying do not be surprised if there is an increase. Rick Hart even tweeted that they were re evaluating the prices and will let everyone know mid April.

How can I forget. It makes the red seat ticket price jump harder to swallow. I paid exponentially more this year and got half the games.
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:06 pm

What a dumb thread. 8)
Last edited by ojaipony on Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ojaipony

Postby The PonyGrad » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:10 pm

And from the title of the thread I thought you might be talking about those who sell on StubHub.
:lol:
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:18 pm

ojaipony wrote:What a dumb thread.

Sorry to waste your time.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Mustangsabu » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:35 pm

The Garland games did not factor into this seasons pricing according to the school.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball