PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Willie and Sas

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Willie and Sas

Postby ponytalk » Mon Apr 02, 2001 10:52 am

Does anyone have any info on what these guys are up to? I take it Sasser is preparing for the draft, etc. What are Willie's plans?
ponytalk
Varsity

Re: Willie and Sas

Postby Vitale » Tue Apr 03, 2001 7:53 pm

Last I heard, Willie had told Rana Cash (of Dallas Morning News fame) that he intends to play in the NBA -- as a POINT GUARD! He was a capable (albeit undersized) college power forward, but a point guard? Come on, Willie. SMU fans will always love you for what you accomplished here, but get the passport ready for the impending European career that lies in front of you.
Vitale
All-American

Postby Vitale » Tue Apr 03, 2001 7:53 pm

Last I heard, Willie had told Rana Cash (of Dallas Morning News fame) that he intends to play in the NBA -- as a POINT GUARD! He was a capable (albeit undersized) college power forward, but a point guard? Come on, Willie. SMU fans will always love you for what you accomplished here, but get the passport ready for the impending European career that lies in front of you.
Vitale
All-American

Postby Rogers » Thu Apr 05, 2001 11:59 pm

hey vitale
willie d will play in the NBA, and he will kick [deleted] because of his size. If he plays a 1 or a 2...hes got a good chance at earning a starting position for a good team. You call yourself an SMU fan? WRONG
rogers healy
Rogers

Postby smudad » Fri Apr 06, 2001 1:25 pm

One flaw kept Willie from shooting the ball well while here. When he planted and went straight up for his shot, he shot the ball reasonably well - this didn't happen all that much. However, when his momentum caused him to continue to drift on his way up on the shot he had little success. That won't be all that difficult for someone at the next level to correct, given the additional opportunity for reps they have in the pros. And with his strength and jumping ability when healthy, I agree, he should be able to play at the next level. Whether someone gives him the chance is another question.
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby Vitale » Mon Apr 09, 2001 4:16 pm

Rogers - Relax a minute.

I'm as big an SMU fan as anyone alive. I'd love to see Sasser, Davis, Hancock, Ross, Forinash -- EVERY SMU player -- make an NBA roster. I used to check Clippers box scores for Carlton McKinney's stats. All I'm saying is that Willie Davis doesn't have the quickness or ball-handling to be an NBA guard or small forward, and at 6-4, he doesn't have the size to bang around with power forwards, which is the position he's best suited for. I'm a Willie Davis fan, and I hope he ends up in the Hall of Fame -- just don't see it happening. Don't accuse me of not being an SMU fan, because I look through Red and Blue glasses all the time, sometimes to a fault. This is just an objective opinion.
Vitale
All-American

Return to Basketball