PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU connection to Duke's title

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU connection to Duke's title

Postby PonyTales » Tue Apr 03, 2001 7:58 pm

Jon Jackson, the sports information director at Duke, used to be the SID at SMU. As much as I hated to see Duke win the title (I hate to see Duke win ANYTHING, especially with Billy Packer seemingly intent on starting a romantic relationship with Shane Battier), congrats to JJ. He's a great guy and from what I hear, has been having the time of his life. Now he gets a well-deserved break.
PonyTales
Heisman

Re: SMU connection to Duke's title

Postby Hilltopper » Wed Apr 04, 2001 12:36 pm

I don't think I can ever root for Duke in anything. PonyTales is right -- the media's love affair with Duke, Coach K and the human Sharpei (Battier) is almost as offensive as the Notre Dame worship we have to put up with from NBC every fall.
Hilltopper
All-American

Postby DiamondM » Wed Apr 04, 2001 5:01 pm

Unless you have some other allegiance to a traditional rival, I just don't understand why an SMU supporter would hate to see Duke win. They are a small, private methodist university that is doing things right.

I maintain ther is a difference between Duke and Notre Dame because Notre Dame uses its past success to (1) join a conference when it suits them top share in a common pot of $$ but refuse to do so in football to keep the money all for themselves, (2) have the BCS literally have special rules just for them, i.e. if they have 9 wins in a season, no matter whether there are teams more deserving, they get in (3) they have negotiated an exclusive broadcasting deal that shows all of their home games even if they go 5-7.

Duke does things right, and as supporters of SMU should want to emulate them, not vilify them.

By the way, Kentucky has won two national championships since Duke, do you hate them too? How about UCLA? Michigan State's been to the last three final fours, why not hate them too?
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby smudad » Thu Apr 05, 2001 3:45 pm

I would tend to agree with you, DM. If there are two coaches one can admire in terms of both their success on the court and with teaching young people, it would be Coach K and, despite some recent attempts to damage his reputation, Coach Wooden. It seems folks tend to vent their dislike for a fawning press on the folks being fawned over. And, Frankly, I wish we had more Battier's to watch - and listen to.
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby PonyTales » Thu Apr 05, 2001 4:30 pm

DiamondM
I admit, I'm a fan of the mighty Maryland Terrapins. Nice job making the Final Four. Nice choke against Puke.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby smu'06 » Wed May 09, 2001 11:05 am

SMU ALSO HAD TIES TO THE TERPS!

Former, and arguably SMU's greatest AD, Russ Potts, came to BIG D from College Park. Russ was Assoc. AD and SID up in Maryland in the Lefty Driessell ERA. He is also a U-MD Alum. So SMU had connections to both in the Champ. Game.
University of South Carolina Student and Fan
SMU Fan and possible Law Student
smu'06
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyTales » Thu May 10, 2001 6:22 pm

SMU-Maryland connection is beautiful. Thanks for the insight.
PonyTales
Heisman

Return to Basketball