PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Poll: 1 scholarship left since Tolbert committed to SMU

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

If you had to pick one who would you select Darrick Wood, Pat McCaw or Dominique Matthews?

Dominique Matthews
17%
Pat McCaw
60%
Darrick Wood
23%

Total votes : 30

Re: Poll: 1 scholarship left since Tolbert committed to SMU

Postby mrydel » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:38 pm

He could easily say, which is probably true, that he did not know how difficult it would be for his mother.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby bigmeech » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:26 pm

Well I believe it will be wood, for some reason he didnt sign early, so they looked elsewhere, but believe wood was his guy first..... just an opinion.....
bigmeech

Postby ojaipony » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:51 pm

Stlhockeyguy02 wrote:To counter that, the NCAA is getting hammered in the court of public opinion by a variety of parties. They may just rubber-stamp it to avoid another source of public haranguing.

I hope you're right. I'm pulling for the kid. (When I first heard about it, I had the same reaction as Grant and others - Lubbock isn't THAT far away and his father passed over a year ago).

The smart [deleted] in me wants to say, though, "when did the NCAA ever give a crap about public opinion?" If so, they would have introduced football playoffs at least 10 years ago.

Personally, I feel the NCAA has absolutely NOTHING to say about it. If the young man wants to leave and play for another program, he should be allowed to anytime. That's his business.

Just another dumb rule by an arrogant obsolete organization living in the 1950s.
ojaipony

Postby birddogger » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:26 am

If the recent NLRB decision in the Northwestern case stands, wouldn't "at will employees" like Tolbert be able to transfer at their discretion without penalty?

The NLRB decision will create uncertainty, to be sure, but I've always hated the NCAA's transfer rules and would like to see players with more autonomy in their transfer decisions.
birddogger
All-American

Postby Stallion » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:15 pm

doubt it because they in fact sign a legally enforceable contract-for 1 year-so they aren't at-will employees under even the broader definition
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby birddogger » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:11 pm

You're correct. Technically not at-will. But they are on one-year contracts as you note, so wouldn't they be free to move about at the expiration of each one?

This is all just poker table discussion. Can't imagine this happening. But I do think the limitations on player movement is one of the real injustices imposed by the NCAA and its members.
birddogger
All-American

Previous

Return to Basketball