PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DeWayne out of school?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

DeWayne out of school?

Postby Rambo » Wed Apr 18, 2001 2:38 pm

I heard that DeWayne dropped out of school. I know he wasn't planning on coming back, but I didn't know he had left school. Any clue 43Fan? You know him as well as any of us. Clue us in brutha.

------------------
Viva Ponyball!!!!!
Viva Ponyball!!!!!
Rambo
Junior Varsity

Re: DeWayne out of school?

Postby Webmaster » Wed Apr 18, 2001 8:16 pm

That is not a rumor, it is true.

SMUMustangs.com reports that he has withdrawn from SMU.

<A HREF="http://www.smumustangs.com/news/00-01/010418mbb.asp" TARGET=_blank>http://www.smumustangs.com/news/00-01/010418mbb.asp</A>
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Postby ponytalk » Wed Apr 18, 2001 10:44 pm

Here is a link to the DMN story... <A HREF="http://www.dallasnews.com/sports_day/colleges/basketball/342506_0419smulede.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dallasnews.com/sports_day/colleges/basketball/342506_0419smulede.html</A>

If you notice in the article it says that Dement is looking for a backup PG behind starter Voc Atkins.

That means Hancock will be playing SG and Voc starting at PG. I like the sound of that!

PG Voc
SG Hancock
SF Q Ross
PF Jibran Kelley
C ??????????????????????????????????????
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby ponystudent » Thu Apr 19, 2001 1:03 pm

The loss of DeWayne can be looked at in two ways.

The first being: it is a good move. Some insiders have told me that behind the scenes he was a head case and a distraction to the rest of the team and the coaches. If this is true, his departure might be worthwhile.

The second being: it is going to hurt. With a team struggling to find a big man to play the five spot, the loss of DeWayne is just another flaw with out struggle to complete a starting lineup. DeWayne was also very enthusiastic during games and practices, so we lose a spark. With his departure we may lose some fans as well. I know many students that were his biggest fans and they went to games because they knew he played to and for them.

------------------
Go Ponies!
Go Ponies!
ponystudent
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyFan » Thu Apr 19, 2001 7:04 pm

Damon goes to shooting guard? WHY? He is the best point guard in the WAC, and Voc has good range on his jumper -- put Voc at shooting guard. Damon needs to run the offense from the point. He's a much better ball-handler and a lot quicker/faster than Voc ever will be.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby 43FAN » Fri May 04, 2001 3:00 am

I have not had a chance to talk to DeWayne about any of the recent happenings. He was in town the other day but I didn't get a chance to hang out with him. As soon as i hear any specifics about all this i will post them. I will try and talk to K Lowe sometime soon about DeWayne and his plans for next year. Aside from the off court distractions he has brought, it will be a huge loss to the team and fan support. He was a huge spark for the team and for the crowd as well. His presence will definately be missed by all next year. However, we have some very promising young kids coming in next year. I had a chance to watch one in the HS playoffs this year and we are definately going to welcome this new talent. It is true, if we can not produce a good season next year, it will hurt our chances for a quality recruiting class in 2002-2003. All in all i am looking foward to seeing a team that will be restructured to center around other players, not just willie and sass. It will be Q and Damon's team next year and i expect them to do great things with it.

GO PONIES
43FAN

Return to Basketball