PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DeWayne's scholarship

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

DeWayne's scholarship

Postby SMUPonyFan » Fri Apr 20, 2001 4:35 pm

Would it be the best option to use Floyd's scholarship this year or wait until next year?

We have four guys coming in, and we will have three graduating, should have been four counting #43.

What I am saying is, keep DeWayne's ship free and use it to bring in 4 more guys next year.

Or am I way off with that statement?

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Re: DeWayne's scholarship

Postby Pony4Life » Fri Apr 20, 2001 5:56 pm

No, I think you're right. If the reports are true that Voc Atkins is starting at point guard and Damon is moving to shooting guard, then we're in trouble anyway. Voc is a nice player, has a chance to be a very good player, but has no business starting yet. He'll be a nice spark off the bench with his enthusiasm and long-range shooting, something SMU hasn't had in what, 10 or 12 years (since the departure of Todd Alexander?) The starting backcourt needs to be Damon at the point and Q Ross at shooting guard. For small forward? Hope Simpson's ready to step into a starting role.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Re: DeWayne's scholarship

Postby ponystudent » Sat Apr 21, 2001 12:53 am

pony4life,

I am going to have to disagree with you on some things.

Voc is very confident and is ready for the starting role. I think he is a better POINT guard than Damon. If you look at Damon's assists, they are very low for a point guard. He has a nice shot and can penetrate beautifully.

I think that putting Damon at SG will allow him to perform better. Of course he will bring the ball up the court often and when VOC is out of the game he will be the PG, but by moving him to SG, you will allow him to do what he does best, score and slash the lane. Voc is a long range shooter and a ball feeder. He will open things up for Q and Damon and then hit a three bomb to get the defense off.

Voc at PG and Damon at SG is the right move. Trust me, Voc is ready to take that starting spot. And he is an eager learner on the court. He is one of the few, or none, that listens to Dement.

smuponyfan, in answer to your question, I think you are right. Everyone has signed and the ones remaining are leftovers. By giving out Floyd's scholarship this year, we would be doing it just for the sake of doing it. Lets get 4 guys in next year to add to the 4 we are getting this year.

------------------
Go Ponies!
Go Ponies!
ponystudent
Junior Varsity

Return to Basketball