PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Per CBS: SMU next year's clear AAC favorite

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Per CBS: SMU next year's clear AAC favorite

Postby ponyboy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:34 am

If you thought the buzz was big this season in Dallas surrounding the Mustangs, it will reach an entirely new level next season. Larry Brown will welcome in arguably the nation's best freshman in 6-foot-5 point guard Emmanuel Mudiay, who will join a strong core of returners. Nic Moore and Markus Kennedy will be among the better players in the American next season and Sterling Brown, Ryan Manuel, Cannen Cunningham, Crandall Head, Keith Frazier, and Yanick Moreira will be back. The wild card could be versatile sophomore forward Ben Moore, who could have a breakout year if he becomes SMU's starting power forward. Texas Tech transfer Jordan Tolbert is another candidate to start at the four if he receives a waiver from the NCAA to play immediately. The Mustangs are the clear favorite in the American. And it's not even close.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... ext-season
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Per CBS: SMU next year's clear AAC favorite

Postby ojaipony » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:46 pm

Hmmm. I love the pub, but I don't know that I agree (of course I agree!).

Houston will be good (didn't realize LJ Rose was just a soph - I thought he was a senior).

I keep hearing Temple will be better - they are well coached.

Memphis could be pretty darn good even with Joe Jackson and a few others gone (I kept hearing from Memphis fans that Joe Jackson was playing out of his natural position all year and they might actually have BETTER guard play next year and along with Goodwin and white chocolate coming back and the McDAA that sat out, they could be REALLY good).

UConn also returns several key pieces (pretty much everyone except Napier) and Ollie has become one of my favorite coaches. They will be very good.

Don't know much about Cincy. I like their coach more now than I did when we played them and you know they will be scrappy but I don't know much about their personnel coming back/recruiting, etc.

I still see it this way until proven otherwise:

1 - UConn
2 - Memphis
3 - SMU
4 - Houston
5 - Cincy
6 - Temple

I have NO idea how Tulsa, ECU, Tulane, UCF, or USF look. (I'm assuming USF will be better given some of their recruiting efforts).

I want us to SWEEP Houston. THAT's the team I just want us to just destroy. Not going to be easy. I want us to beat them by at least 20 every time we play them. Probably won't happen though.
ojaipony

Postby The PonyGrad » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:49 pm

ojaipony wrote:Hmmm. I love the pub, but I don't know that I agree (of course I agree!).

Houston will be good (didn't realize LJ Rose was just a soph - I thought he was a senior).

Memphis could be pretty darn good even with Joe Jackson and a few others gone (I kept hearing from Memphis fans that Joe Jackson was playing out of his natural position all year and they might actually have BETTER guard play next year and along with Goodwin and white chocolate coming back and the McDAA that sat out, they could be REALLY good).

UConn also returns several key pieces (pretty much everyone except Napier) and Ollie has become one of my favorite coaches. They will be very good.

Don't know much about Cincy. I like their coach more now than I did when we played them and you know they will be scrappy but I don't know much about their personnel coming back/recruiting, etc.

1 - UConn
2 - Memphis
3 - SMU
4 - Houston
5 - Cincy
6 - Temple

I have NO idea how Tulsa, ECU, Tulane, UCF, or USF look. (I'm assuming USF will be better given some of their recruiting efforts).

I want us to SWEEP Houston. THAT's the team I just want us to just destroy. Not going to be easy. I want us to beat them by at least 20 every time we play them. Probably won't happen though.

Seriously dude? Besides all the stuff you admit to not knowing, how to you put anyone ahead of SMU?

Some fan.
:roll:
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby ojaipony » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:53 pm

The PonyGrad wrote:
ojaipony wrote:Hmmm. I love the pub, but I don't know that I agree (of course I agree!).

1 - UConn
2 - Memphis
3 - SMU
4 - Houston
5 - Cincy
6 - Temple

Seriously dude? Besides all the stuff you admit to not knowing, how to you put anyone ahead of SMU?

Some fan.
:roll:

Ha ha, yeah I know. I'd rather us be in an underdog role and sneak up on some people. We won't be there anymore and the bright lights will be on us and the only way to go is down if put ourselves TOO FAR up that pole. All I'm sayin'.

Pony Up!
ojaipony

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:19 pm

We will be the favorite in most games next year. They guys will have to learn how to be the hunted - trust LB.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Pony^ » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:37 am

Pony^
All-American

Postby Pony147 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:25 am

ojaipony wrote:I have NO idea how Tulsa, ECU, Tulane, UCF, or USF look. (I'm assuming USF will be better given some of their recruiting efforts).

Tulsa returns everyone from a team that made the NCAA Tournament. They will be a good team if they hire anyone decent
"[College] referees couldn't manage a White Castle." -Mark Cuban
Pony147
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:11 pm

They got there by winning their conference tourney, not as an at large team. They'd have finished sixth in the AAC this year somewhere between Memphis and Houston. They're not bad - a good add with some history of winning.
ponyboy

Postby PonySnob » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:37 pm

1 - UConn
2 - Memphis
3 - SMU
4 - Houston
5 - Cincy
6 - Temple

Certainly not going to be able to afford any slipups against the "bottom feeder" teams in the AAC this next season.................
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Comet » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:04 pm

Don't sleep on Cincy
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby ClickClack » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:57 pm

Houston's best 2 players: House and Thomas are transferring
ClickClack
All-American

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:02 pm

ClickClack wrote:Houston's best 2 players: House and Thomas are transferring

Really!? That's bad news. Both are really good players.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Grant Carter » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:23 pm

It is too bad, that will set them back. I am guessing they cannot get a release to transfer within the conference, but if it is a possibility keep in mind that Maligi recruited both of them to UH.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby gomemphistigers1 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:26 pm

UConn - NCAA
SMU - NCAA
Memphis - NCAA
Cincy - NCAA
Tulsa - NIT
Houston - CBI
Temple
USF