PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Big 12 and AAC

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Big 12 and AAC

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:19 pm

UCincinnati wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:
Don't take this the wrong way UC, but when you compare our 2 schools in terms of academic reputation, location, beauty of campus, connections of our high-dollar alumni, local high school talent, value of TV markets, etc...i.e. all important criteria for a university, you can't hold a candle to SMU.

So the question a lot of us SMU folks have is why did this take us so long to figure out.

Once again, nothing personal, but there aren't 20 schools in the nation that have the advantages we do.

I get the optimism around your school but I would wait until you make a meaningful bowl game and/or the NCAA tournament before you start saying these kinds of things. Cincinnati has finished ranked in football in '08, '09, '11 and '12 also ranked in basketball in '11, '12 and '14. We are head and shoulders above the rest of the American in terms of production in the two major sports.

I congratulate you on your recent success, but it still doesn't change the fact that by every important criteria I listed, SMU is far superior to UCinn, or for that matter, any other AAC school.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ojaipony » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:44 pm

UCincinnati wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:
Don't take this the wrong way UC, but when you compare our 2 schools in terms of academic reputation, location, beauty of campus, connections of our high-dollar alumni, local high school talent, value of TV markets, etc...i.e. all important criteria for a university, you can't hold a candle to SMU.

So the question a lot of us SMU folks have is why did this take us so long to figure out.

Once again, nothing personal, but there aren't 20 schools in the nation that have the advantages we do.

I get the optimism around your school but I would wait until you make a meaningful bowl game and/or the NCAA tournament before you start saying these kinds of things. Cincinnati has finished ranked in football in '08, '09, '11 and '12 also ranked in basketball in '11, '12 and '14. We are head and shoulders above the rest of the American in terms of production in the two major sports.

Basketball history, Cincy wins. (this is new for many of us)
Football history, SMU wins (even factoring in the last 20 years) -> you have caught up to us recently but as soon as we get rid of our lame HC, we should get better real quick (hopefully)
As an ACADEMIC institution, SMU wins all week long and twice on Sunday (better city, better campus, better academics, better opportunities, better alumni, etc etc).

I would MUCH rather go to SMU than Cincy (any good sporting events at SMU are simply a BONUS).
ojaipony

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:02 pm

Sadly, based on the last several years, UC has passed us in football. Their biggest problem is that they can't hold onto coaches when they get successful. Cinci has been terrific in bball for quite a few years. It would be amazing for us to equal on the long term what they have accomplished.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Big12Mustang » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:14 pm

ojaipony wrote:
UCincinnati wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:

Basketball history, Cincy wins. (this is new for many of us)
Football history, SMU wins (even factoring in the last 20 years) -> you have caught up to us recently but as soon as we get rid of our lame HC, we should get better real quick (hopefully)
As an ACADEMIC institution, SMU wins all week long and twice on Sunday (better city, better campus, better academics, better opportunities, better alumni, etc etc).

I would MUCH rather go to SMU than Cincy (any good sporting events at SMU are simply a BONUS).

Pony Up!
Hopefully we get rid of our coach sooner rather than later!
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby UCincinnati » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:01 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
UCincinnati wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:

I congratulate you on your recent success, but it still doesn't change the fact that by every important criteria I listed, SMU is far superior to UCinn, or for that matter, any other AAC school.

Congrats!! So is Rice and Tulane. Those things are mostly irrelevant to athletics...

Cincinnati is drastically improving it's academics recently reaching over $1 billion dollars in endowment and is on the top of the list of the next schools to be admitted to the AAU. We are getting better...
UCincinnati
Junior Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:08 pm

Everyone is "drastically improving it's academics recently"

Pretty sure Cougar King said the same thing about UH
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:40 pm

1B endowment at cinci? Truthfully I'm impressed.
RGV Pony

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:42 pm

The $1B endowment figure is impressive.
East Coast Mustang

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:49 pm

Cincy vs. SMU:

Basketball heritage: Cincy
Basketball current program state for next season: SMU

Football heritage: SMU
Football current program state for next season: Cincy
CalallenStang

Postby Stallion » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:53 pm

The one I'm shocked about is that Texas Tech has passed a BILLION dollar endowment-much bigger school-I'm still surprised
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:01 pm

Stallion wrote:The one I'm shocked about is that Texas Tech has passed a BILLION dollar endowment-much bigger school-I'm still surprised

Fracing in West Texas
East Coast Mustang

Postby CoxMustangFan » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:11 pm

Stallion wrote:The one I'm shocked about is that Texas Tech has passed a BILLION dollar endowment-much bigger school-I'm still surprised

And they've grown it in a short period of time. I still haven't seen an actual financial report supporting the number, just references to articles and "reported" numbers. Plus, I hear the school is facing massive donor fatigue. Regardless, if it's true, well done Tech.

Also, through their fan boards they're creating $200,000 endowments to fund athletic schollies. I know SMU would need more than $200,000 per schollie, but that would be an interesting idea...
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:47 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:

Fracing in West Texas

That and some handsome checks from a trial atty alum in Dallas otherwise known as Stallion.
RGV Pony

Postby mrydel » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:52 pm

I figured one of them had lucked into the Buffett bracket.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:20 pm

Cincinnati population:

1910 - 364,000
1960 - 500,000
Today - less than 300,000

Dallas population:

1910 - 92,000
1960 - 680,000