PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Big 12 and AAC

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Big 12 and AAC

Postby jpe747 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:14 am

As for the SWC and basketball, SWC was all about football. Basketball was something to help you make it through that time between football season and football spring practice. :lol:
jpe747
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:15 am

PonyTime wrote:I never realized that the SWC never won a title. HOU came close. ARK left right before winning theirs.

Only one Texas team has won the Title ever - UTEP in '66.

And the only Texas schools to win the NIT were UT in 1978 & Baylor in 2013.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CenTXpony » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:28 am

SMU15 wrote:
The PonyGrad wrote:And by "current conference membership" AAC beats Big12 9-5 in championships.

And... who was the coach what Kansas won that only Big12 championship? LB!
8)

Lol was definitely Bill Self in 2008. When Memphis got beat by Kansas, and Mario Chalmers hit that 3 with 2 seconds, and Derrick Rose couldn't buy a free throw to save his life.

Was at that game in San Antonio.... pure insanity. That entire memphis team struggled at the ft line.. Chris Douglas-Roberts was perhaps one of the worst ft shooters... think he missed all of his attempts when the game came down to the wire.
CenTXpony
Heisman

Postby whitwiki » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:37 am

Dorsey had the biggest shoulders in the world.
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby UCincinnati » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:48 pm

Big12Mustang wrote:
Terry Webster wrote:I really doubt that we will lose at UC. They lost about 75% of their offense this year.

Who knows, it might be one of those unexpected losses. But I really see this team not losing more than 4

What type of world do we live in where SMU losing at Cincinnati is an "unexpected loss" ???
UCincinnati
Junior Varsity

Postby Big12Mustang » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:53 pm

UCincinnati wrote:
Big12Mustang wrote:
Terry Webster wrote:I really doubt that we will lose at UC. They lost about 75% of their offense this year.

Who knows, it might be one of those unexpected losses. But I really see this team not losing more than 4

What type of world do we live in where SMU losing at Cincinnati is an "unexpected loss" ???

We call it the real world. 8)
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby jpe747 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:25 pm

UCincinnati it's strange to everybody. However, Big12Mustang is right. It's a whole new world. SMU is gonna be hard to beat.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:10 am

SMU is a basketball school!
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:39 am

UCincinnati wrote:
Big12Mustang wrote:

Don't take this the wrong way UC, but when you compare our 2 schools in terms of academic reputation, location, beauty of campus, connections of our high-dollar alumni, local high school talent, value of TV markets, etc...i.e. all important criteria for a university, you can't hold a candle to SMU.

So the question a lot of us SMU folks have is why did this take us so long to figure out.

Once again, nothing personal, but there aren't 20 schools in the nation that have the advantages we do.
SoCal_Pony

Postby UCincinnati » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:23 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Don't take this the wrong way UC, but when you compare our 2 schools in terms of academic reputation, location, beauty of campus, connections of our high-dollar alumni, local high school talent, value of TV markets, etc...i.e. all important criteria for a university, you can't hold a candle to SMU.

So the question a lot of us SMU folks have is why did this take us so long to figure out.

Once again, nothing personal, but there aren't 20 schools in the nation that have the advantages we do.

I get the optimism around your school but I would wait until you make a meaningful bowl game and/or the NCAA tournament before you start saying these kinds of things. Cincinnati has finished ranked in football in '08, '09, '11 and '12 also ranked in basketball in '11, '12 and '14. We are head and shoulders above the rest of the American in terms of production in the two major sports.
UCincinnati
Junior Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:27 am

I don't think Cincinnati is going to be very good next year, and they were overrated this year. Kilpatrick, Rubles, and Jackson will be very tough to replace. I am looking forward to heckling Mick Cronin again at Moody next year though
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby ponyboy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:32 am

Overrated at 7 perhaps. But they were a pretty salty basketball team.
ponyboy

Postby CoxMustangFan » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:36 am

UCincinnati wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:

I get the optimism around your school but I would wait until you make a meaningful bowl game and/or the NCAA tournament before you start saying these kinds of things. Cincinnati has finished ranked in football in '08, '09, '11 and '12 also ranked in basketball in '11, '12 and '14. We are head and shoulders above the rest of the American in terms of production in the two major sports.

The debate would be between you and UConn. They haven't had quite the same success in football, but they're way above you in basketball. Regardless, you're correct that SMU has a lot to prove. If I were a Cincy fan though, I would frankly be glad a team like SMU is showing big promise.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby UCincinnati » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:16 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:I don't think Cincinnati is going to be very good next year, and they were overrated this year. Kilpatrick, Rubles, and Jackson will be very tough to replace. I am looking forward to heckling Mick Cronin again at Moody next year though

Cincinnati greatly overachieved last season. Most of us didn't think they'd make the NCAA tournament (or at least be on the bubble). Next year UC is going to be a lot more talented but a lot less experienced. It will be a transitional year probably with a 8-9-10 seed in the NCAA's. UC should be a top 15 team the following year however.
UCincinnati
Junior Varsity

Postby ponyinNC » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:22 am

UC has a rich basketball history that I want SMU to aspire to have as well...
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball