PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Joel Embiid press conference today

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Joel Embiid press conference today

Postby ojaipony » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:19 pm

purduedavie wrote:Dallas kid that wants to stay close to home should be a homerun for the ponies, team will be a legit title contender if he attends, ideal situation for him!

This!!

(I hear we were late on him and he was a late bloomer so we got a really late start on developing the relationship . . . plus us being really good is a very new thing . . . not everyone is as visionary as Eman, but I think Ulric had a preexisting relationship with the brother(s). Anyway, I have complete faith in LB and, especially, Ulric to do all they can - they are among the best in the biz . . . the beautiful thing is that if we don't get him, I doubt it's because of a lack of trying and/or competence).
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyinNC » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:20 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:This is funny....

“@PaulBiancardi: He never visited there .Sorry your Cats are out“@Scotty_Young00: @PaulBiancardi what are the chances Myles Turner comes to UK? #AskCoachB””

Scotty doesn't know...
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU 86 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:49 pm

purduedavie wrote:Dallas kid that wants to stay close to home should be a homerun for the ponies, team will be a legit title contender if he attends, ideal situation for him!

From what I understand he considers Kansas as close to home.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby malonish » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:59 pm

Bergermeister wrote:
TyDerby wrote:Most KU fans now feel like Myles Turner is there's

there's? :oops: theirs

they're's
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Lebanese4Life » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:02 pm

Idiots. it's theirs'
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyinNC » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:06 pm

Actually, it is Thayer's:

if anyone actually gets that joke, I will be supremely impressed! :lol:
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:33 pm

Ethel Thayer. Almost kept her from marrying me.
ponyboy

Postby TyDerby » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:33 pm

It's official, Embiid entered the draft.

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/ ... -nba-draft
TyDerby
Recruit

Postby The PonyGrad » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:55 pm

Turner has been incredibly opaque on his choice. He did state that he was keeping an eye on the Embiid situation. That, however, could just mean that if Embiid stayed he would scratch off KU and not make them #1 if he went pro.

Who knows?
:?
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby diveonthefloor2014 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:58 pm

While it would sure be nice to have Turner choose SMU, the Mustangs will be a scary good team with -- or without -- him.

Remember, LB will have a front line including a seasoned MK, improved Ben Moore, and steadily improved Cunningham, not to mention YM (if he can shake of the karma from the end of last year). All of these guys will benefit from the passing and driving abilities of Mudiay and an improbed NM. This doesn't even mention KF, SB, and the rest of a young team.

Yeah, Turner would give LB another talented low post option, but SMU is going to be a title contender either way.
diveonthefloor2014
Recruit

Postby purduedavie » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:07 pm

Don't get me wrong, SMU without Turner will still be a title contender, Tolbert being eligible will be huge if Turner doesn't attend. All I'm saying is SMU with the new exciting gym, hall of fame coach, located in Dallas so all of his friends and family can see all of his games and a fantastic fellow Frosh in Mudiay should be where he attends, just calling it as I see it! I understand the Kansas brand and the Alexander thing but it's still freaking Kansas, not to mention Cliff Alexander is going to want to be the man in the frontcourt, the twin tower days are a thing of the past, go to SMU Mr Turner, it is the right choice without a doubt!
purduedavie
Scout Team

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:46 am

The thing that still catches my eye about what Turner will do is his comment about how he wants to play with a good point guard. SMU will have two terrific ones next year. Hopefully that will help with his decision.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:08 am

purduedavie wrote: I understand the Kansas brand and the Alexander thing but it's still freaking Kansas, not to mention Cliff Alexander is going to want to be the man in the frontcourt, the twin tower days are a thing of the past, go to SMU Mr Turner, it is the right choice without a doubt!

Kansas won't be "Kansas" forever - it will go the way of UCLA, Marquette, North Carolina among others - (this is not to say that these programs have become dogs) - the time is ripe for a changing-of-the-guard - and who better to step up than Larry Brown's Mustangs? Our foot (hoof) is in the door already. SMU: The Right Choice!
Bergermeister

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:20 am

we get that we will be good with or without Myles...but landing him would increase our brand and overall respect from everyone. We could lose 13 games and they would still put us in the big show (similar to Kansas this year)
Pony ^

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:36 pm

diveonthefloor2014 wrote:While it would sure be nice to have Turner choose SMU, the Mustangs will be a scary good team with -- or without -- him.

Remember, LB will have a front line including a seasoned MK, improved Ben Moore, and steadily improved Cunningham, not to mention YM (if he can shake of the karma from the end of last year). All of these guys will benefit from the passing and driving abilities of Mudiay and an improbed NM. This doesn't even mention KF, SB, and the rest of a young team.

Yeah, Turner would give LB another talented low post option, but SMU is going to be a title contender either way.

Right, our front line will be cluttered if he comes to SMU. While he would improve our team he would get much more playing time at Kansas. Alexander would play at the 4 and he could be the 5 or vice versa. No reason to come to SMU since Embiid left. Self has a good track record of getting kids to the NBA and has no problem with starting freshman from day 1. I think he is Kansas's to lose but we'll see.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball