PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MD basketball

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

MD basketball

Postby PoconoPony » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:42 pm

Nick Faust, Roddy Peters, Shaquille Cleare transfer from Maryland

Maryland has granted releases to Nick Faust, Roddy Peters and Shaquille Cleare, as all three have decided to transfer from the program, according to a report from Jeff Ermann of InsideMDSports.com on Tuesday evening.

The departure of the trio leaves Mark Turgeon with two open scholarships for the 2014-2015 season, per Ermann.

“I really enjoyed coaching Nick, Shaq and Roddy,” Turgeon said in a statement on Tuesday evening. “It is unfortunate that they will no longer be a part of the program. I wish them the very best in their future endeavors.”

All three saw more than 13 minutes per game this past season. Faust averaged 9.4 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game. Peters, the freshman guard who enrolled at Maryland as a four-star recruit according to Rivals, averaged 4.1 points, 1.3 boards and dished 2.3 assists per game. His role will be filled by incoming freshman Melo Trimble, another four-star point guard.

The 6-foot-9 Cleare posted averages of 3.0 points and 2.5 rebounds per game. Despite the narrow bump in minutes, Cleare saw decreases in field goal percentage, points and rebounds.

On Monday, Maryland landed a commitment from 2014 center Michal Cekovsky, a 7-footer from Spain. He and Trimble are part of an incoming class which includes Dion Wiley, Trayvon Reed and Jared Nickens.

Maryland finished 17-15 (9-9 ACC), the Terrapins final season in the conference. They will move to the Big Ten Conference this fall.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: MD basketball

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:58 pm

Someone check on hoopman
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dukie » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:28 am

Hoopman is fine, I'm sure. The Twerps are OK-to-happy with seeing this group go.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:02 am

looks like it was not their (the players) doing?
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:29 am

I can't find much reason to have optimism with regards to Turgeon, but I'm certainly not losing sleep over these 3. The reality is that Trimble was gonna eat roddys time, and shaq cleare is just a monumental bust. Nick Faust got numbers but was also a massive bonehead on the floor. Good kid whom I wish well, just never put it all together. Shaq is a great kid too, and a monster of a man, but just showed nothing.

Basically, some of those kids had names and rankings, so it seems like a story. To those of us who follow, the real story is Maryland underachieving b/c several of those players never played close to their recruit rankings. Not a huge loss on the court, but the turnover in coaching staff looks bad, especially guys leaving for lateral positions.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Basketball