PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UH losing 2 starters

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UH losing 2 starters

Postby PonySnob » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:20 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:Damn. This is a real hit to our conference. They were a top four team next year. Not now.

SMU, UConn, Memphis, Cincinnati..............

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:49 pm

Not sure if it's been discussed here but Temple is losing a stud as well. Top scorer Anthony Lee.

https://temple.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1621608
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby gostangs » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:12 am

Maybe an academic issue. If you have to sit out anyway you might as well get to a better basketball school.
gostangs

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:26 am

gostangs wrote:Maybe an academic issue. If you have to sit out anyway you might as well get to a better basketball school.

Actually he is graduating early with a year of eligibility. He'll be a really good addition for someone.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby ClickClack » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:35 am

Anthony Lee committed to ohio state a couple weeks ago
ClickClack
All-American

Postby Pony^ » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:27 pm

University of Houston forward TaShawn Thomas and guard Danuel House requested their releases to transfer before the hiring of men's basketball coach Kelvin Sampson, a top athletic official said Friday.

Mack Rhoades, UH's vice president for intercollegiate athletics, said the team was informed that no requests to transfer would be considered until after a coach was hired to replace James Dickey, who stepped down March 24.

"It's really simple," Rhoades said. "We were very, very clear that when coach Dickey decided he needed to leave we wouldn't entertain any releases until we hired a new coach and that coach had an opportunity to develop a relationship with our players."

The transfer requests by Thomas and House were declined April 4, the day after Sampson was named coach.

Thomas and House, UH's top two scorers last season, are going through the appeal process. That includes going before a special university committee that will hear their cases. No date has been set for that hearing, a person with knowledge of the situation said Friday.

Sampson, who threw out the ceremonial first pitch at Friday's baseball series opener against Louisville, said he's upbeat about "the future of the program" and did not specifically name the two players. He acknowledged UH must fill the void from players who graduated after last season and "we have some scholarships we may have to fill," presumably in response to Thomas and House.

http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/article/UH-defends-transfer-denials-to-star-players-5396811.php
Pony^
All-American

Postby Pony^ » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:25 pm

Pony^
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:24 pm

I'm not breaking any news here, but Houston is going to be dreadful next season without those two. Very odd situation.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Smerkins » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:58 pm

Danrad needs to get out while he can.
Smerkins
Varsity

Postby StandUp » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:33 am

Just read that UH has put restrictions on where House and Thomas could transfer...
1) cannot transfer to another AAC School
2) cannot transfer to any other school within the state of Texas
3) cannot transfer to any school that is on next year's schedule

Both players are appealing the transfer restrictions.
StandUp
Varsity

Postby Pony^ » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:38 pm

TaShawn Thomas and Danuel House were granted conditional releases to transfer from the University of Houston on Friday.

As part of the releases' stipulations, the players will not be allowed to transfer to another school in the American Athletic Conference - including those that plan to leave or join within the next two years - nor to another school in the state of Texas or any opponent on the Cougars' schedule during the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons.

Both players plan to appeal to the NCAA to overturn the stipulation they cannot play at another Texas school.

"It seems like they don't want me to be successful in the state of Texas unless I go to the University of Houston," said House, a 6-7 sophomore guard. "It really hurts my heart."

Thomas, a 6-8 junior forward, said he was glad the process is over but "bothered" by the idea he will not be allowed to choose a Texas school.

"I want to be able to look at schools in Texas so I can stay closer to my family," Thomas said.

http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/article/UH-allows-release-of-two-star-players-with-5413968.php
Pony^
All-American

Postby Mustangsabu » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:41 pm

whiny little losers. They think they should be able to turn tail on the school they committed to and go wherever they want? If you want to stay in Texas study at UH..... Nonsense
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony^ » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:35 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:whiny little losers. They think they should be able to turn tail on the school they committed to and go wherever they want? If you want to stay in Texas study at UH..... Nonsense

SMU let Jalen Jones go to A&M and Tolbert is coming here from Tech. I can understand the restriction on other conference teams, but the restriction on out-of-conference Texas teams seems mean spirited to me.
Pony^
All-American

Postby Digetydog » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:52 am

Mustangsabu wrote:whiny little losers. They think they should be able to turn tail on the school they committed to and go wherever they want? If you want to stay in Texas study at UH..... Nonsense

Sorry.

Coaches can transfer anywhere they want. Teams can push out players that no longer meet their needs -> L Smith and Samarippas and others. Why shouldn't players be able to transfer anywhere they want?

Even if the same conference restriction was reasonable, there is no reason that they should be banned from going to ANY school in the state.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Grant Carter » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:34 am

Could be that Houston felt like there was tampering by an in state school and they are unhappy. I thought the restriction on schools that are leaving the conference was interesting. I wonder if that is related to rumors of Ulric being in the mix for the Louisville job.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball