PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SID: SMU branding - SMU, not Southern Methodist

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SID: SMU branding - SMU, not Southern Methodist

Postby Big12Mustang » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:19 pm

Went to rally house, where they have a growing SMU merchandise section in the back. Saw that they call the section "Southern Methodist", which although I thought was cool that they had more SMU merchandise, kinda infuriated me. I like the branding to be consistent "SMU" all over.

Also, on ESPN and other websites, they refer to us as Southern Methodist.

Where can we report these transgressions so that the Athletic Department can reach out to these places and have them change it?
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Re: SID: SMU branding - SMU, not Southern Methodist

Postby 03Mustang » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Screw rally house - don't give them your money anyway. Same excuse every time I went in about SMU's licensing being the issue as to why they didn't carry more merchandise, which we know isn't the issue anymore.

Until they move us out of the back corner and carry more than 3 shirts in their Fairview store they won't get a dime from me no matter how they brand us.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:23 pm

They do use that excuse. Plus, they carry way too much TCU gear to get any of my money.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smusic 00 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:39 am

03Mustang wrote:Screw rally house - don't give them your money anyway. Same excuse every time I went in about SMU's licensing being the issue as to why they didn't carry more merchandise, which we know isn't the issue anymore.

Until they move us out of the back corner and carry more than 3 shirts in their Fairview store they won't get a dime from me no matter how they brand us.

There was a big move by SMU to get rally house to change their ways. Sounds like it might have worked, though not perfectly. SID mentioned that RH was invited to a few bball game suites this year to show them what's happening in the market.
smusic 00

Postby Big12Mustang » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:19 am

smusic 00 wrote:
03Mustang wrote:Screw rally house - don't give them your money anyway. Same excuse every time I went in about SMU's licensing being the issue as to why they didn't carry more merchandise, which we know isn't the issue anymore.

There was a big move by SMU to get rally house to change their ways. Sounds like it might have worked, though not perfectly. SID mentioned that RH was invited to a few bball game suites this year to show them what's happening in the market.

Awesome.
I had been to Rally House several months ago and the selection this time around was about double. They told me they are planning to expand the SMU section, but I did notice TCU had way too much merchandise in there...
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:58 am

SMU > Southern Methodist
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby jpe747 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:04 am

I like the brand 'SMU' also. However, anyone with twitter knows that several other schools call themselves SMU. Obviously, that can be confusing unless you know to which SMU you are referencing.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby Lebanese4Life » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:24 am

hmm. I don't think there are any schools in the United States that use the acronym SMU so that shouldn't be a problem (Saint Mary's in Canada and Singapore Mgmt U)
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby couch 'em » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:09 am

There are a dozen or more Saint M___'s University schools although I don't see that as mattering. For example our catholic friends in San Antonio, who had the acronym 60 years before we did:
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:52 am

couch 'em wrote:There are a dozen or more Saint M___'s University schools although I don't see that as mattering. For example our catholic friends in San Antonio, who had the acronym 60 years before we did:

They use StMU as their acronym. I've seen that on bumper stickers around SA
CalallenStang

Postby SMU2007 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:20 am

If people are getting confused between us and a tiny catholic school in San antonio, a Canadian university or Singapore management university when we are discussing D1 sports, we have bigger problems.
SMU2007

Postby Bergermeister » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:33 am

Southern Methodist
S.M.U.
SMU
Rally House Sux (went there to buy a Baylor gift for a friend and got so pist at the token SMU offerings, I walked out - won't go back)
Bergermeister

Postby Fresno Mustang » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:55 am

St. Mary's in moraga is D1 in the west coast conference. Some people in northern california sometimes will confuse it with that. I still think that if you know anyting about college athletics or colleges tho your first thought when you hear SMU should be us given we are d 1 in football and our history in sports
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby Big12Mustang » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:12 am

Was talking to a coworker (TCU alum/fan) about the branding issue, and he said TCU went through the same situation in the early 2000s when they were referred to as "Texas Christian". Their SID and AD made it a mission to get the brand corrected as "TCU" everywhere they saw the wrong branding.

I like how we have done way better with eradicating the "phony pony" from merchandise...now we have to brand "SMU" the right way!
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:18 am

One thousand percent agree. SID needs to make this a priority over the summer.

Our name is going to be on every sports site and every newspaper in America next year with a top ten ranking. It needs to say "SMU"
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Next

Return to Basketball