PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jankovich

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jankovich

Postby mrydel » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:20 pm

OhioBrownFan wrote:I agree that Florida was probably an exception, my point is 1) we don't know how long Brown can coach, could be a year, could be 5, you just don't know. 2) Jank could get offered a great position. 3) There's a number of jobs that will pay more than his current salary. 4) Rarely do coach-in-waitings ever come to fruition. I think it's a stupid idea to begin with and just PC talk to get someone a bigger salary and justify it.

Agree. Seems there was one that did consummate (Jimbo Fisher?) but I do not recall others and believe it is used primarily to warrant more salary.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby The Falcon » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:41 pm

I still haven't seen anyone post several reasons why Jank would be the coach that could
continue LB's success at SMU.

I don't know him. I am not against him and want to hear the positives about him. Is there
no one on this forum that knows a lot about our associate coach?

When we were interviewing Larry Brown and someone requested that we hire a coach-in-
waiting - what positive points were used in hiring Jank?
The Falcon
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:44 pm

His head coaching record is not spectacular- a mediocre run at UNT in the mid-90s with no postseason appearances, and more recently four NIT appearances in five years at Illinois State, which certainly isn't bad. I honestly don't know much more about him- would be interested to know hoopmanx's thoughts
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Zman89 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:56 pm

mrydel wrote:Wouldn't Muschamp be the Texas coach today had he stayed?

Being the Gator fan that I am if Texas wants him they can have him.
Zman89
Varsity

Postby Zman89 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:00 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:His head coaching record is not spectacular- a mediocre run at UNT in the mid-90s with no postseason appearances, and more recently four NIT appearances in five years at Illinois State, which certainly isn't bad. I honestly don't know much more about him- would be interested to know hoopmanx's thoughts

Just remember before LB SMU was not a household name. Jankovich did have his teams in the NIT.
Zman89
Varsity

Postby StandUp » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:41 am

Let's not forget that we are paying Jankovich pretty well to be our Coach in Waiting. Probably one of the highest paid assistant coaches in the NCAA. He is not going anywhere.
StandUp
Varsity

Postby ojaipony » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:18 pm

All I know about Jank is that he was an assistant under some good coaches for quite a while -- was at Kansas for several years for example . . . was a great player himself at Kansas State. Really had lowly Illinois State on an upswing and they were getting really good (he got Nic Moore, so there's that).

He's no LB (who is?) but I've heard he's great with the players (and is not a great Xs and Os guy ... hoping his time with LB is helping with that though).
ojaipony

Postby ojaipony » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:24 pm

ojaipony

Postby The Falcon » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:07 am

Thanks Ojai - that link does provide quite a bit of good information. Larry Brown has been
so fantastic at all levels - from public relations to recruiting to coaching - that I was just
sweating out what might happen if he left and realized I didn't know much about Jank.

There will never be another Larry Brown, but we can hope that Jank is absorbing all he can
from the master.
The Falcon
All-American

Previous

Return to Basketball