PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jankovich

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jankovich

Postby PonySnob » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:47 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:I believe he was interviewed at halftime of the UConn game in Storrs

He was......:.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Top Twenty » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:33 am

He is an extremely impressive guy.
Top Twenty
Junior Varsity

Postby Prideful Pony » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:52 pm

Can anyone fill us in on his strengths from his previous head coaching gig? Was he a stellar recruiter or X&Os kinda guy, player's coach vs coach's coach, etc.?
Prideful Pony
Junior Varsity

Postby Zman89 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:23 pm

The Falcon wrote:This thread serves to remind me that I know very little about Coach Jank. I know that he brought
little Nic to SMU and that he had a Big Dance team in Illinois before he came here. And I know
that Brown brought him here as a coach in waiting (insurance policy.)

Will someone in the know please describe the positive things he brings to SMU. I see him on
the bench during games and he appears sullen. I see him say a few words to LB during games
but I have never seen him interviewed. He certainly doesn't project any fire or enthusiasm.

This is not meant to tear him down. I want to hear that he is a charismatic leader and that he
has many strengths that will help us. And, God forbid, if LB should leave- do we feel good
about Jankovich?

Don't underestimate Coach Jankovich he's far from being a silent coach.
Zman89
Varsity

Postby solomouse » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:36 pm

I see fire in his belly....he is learning from a master...he is a student...I too watch him.....he helps to control nic,he is of great value to coach brown,who likes to teach ...watch him after a exciting game...as the team leaves...most of you know a lot more about the gamethani will ever know,but this guy is learning and teaching...
solomouse
Varsity

Postby OhioBrownFan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:34 pm

I'll leave it at this. SMU is lucky to have two D1 head coaches on that bench. I don't know what Jank is thinking not moving onto another job at this point, he has his two years with SMU and there are some solid programs after him. That speaks volumes to LB because there are very few that would sit as a coach in waiting with some of the offers.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby Pony_Law » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:56 am

At SMU he gets paid like a head coach, he gets to become a part of the LB basketball network (which is huge), he has none of the pressure of a head coach, and he is first in line to take over a program in a few years that is in a strong basketball conference and will likely be stacked with talent. Seem like some pretty good reasons to stay at SMU.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby OhioBrownFan » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:09 am

Pony_Law wrote:At SMU he gets paid like a head coach, he gets to become a part of the LB basketball network (which is huge), he has none of the pressure of a head coach, and he is first in line to take over a program in a few years that is in a strong basketball conference and will likely be stacked with talent. Seem like some pretty good reasons to stay at SMU.

Yippee, same with Will Muschamp. That worked out. There's plenty of good reasons not to stay at SMU just as there ones to stay.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby Big12Mustang » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:31 am

OhioBrownFan wrote:
Pony_Law wrote:At SMU he gets paid like a head coach, he gets to become a part of the LB basketball network (which is huge), he has none of the pressure of a head coach, and he is first in line to take over a program in a few years that is in a strong basketball conference and will likely be stacked with talent. Seem like some pretty good reasons to stay at SMU.

Yippee, same with Will Muschamp. That worked out. There's plenty of good reasons not to stay at SMU just as there ones to stay.

Don't compare us to the cow, please.. :evil:
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:51 am

OhioBrownFan wrote:

To be fair, Muschamp left Texas to take one of the top 3 football jobs in the entire nation. If Kansas, UNC, or Duke offered Jank I suspect he might take the job.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby mrydel » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:19 pm

Wouldn't Muschamp be the Texas coach today had he stayed?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:24 pm

mrydel wrote:Wouldn't Muschamp be the Texas coach today had he stayed?

I imagine so. But the UF job was a tough one to pass up on when he didn't know how much longer he'd have to wait on Mack

I think Texas, Florida, and USC are the three best jobs in college football
East Coast Mustang

Postby mrydel » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:28 pm

I agree it was probably good to go to Florida but it cannot be said the coach in waiting did not work out. Coach in waiting only works if the coach waits.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby OhioBrownFan » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:46 pm

I agree that Florida was probably an exception, my point is 1) we don't know how long Brown can coach, could be a year, could be 5, you just don't know. 2) Jank could get offered a great position. 3) There's a number of jobs that will pay more than his current salary. 4) Rarely do coach-in-waitings ever come to fruition. I think it's a stupid idea to begin with and just PC talk to get someone a bigger salary and justify it.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:48 pm

mrydel wrote:I agree it was probably good to go to Florida but it cannot be said the coach in waiting did not work out. Coach in waiting only works if the coach waits.

True, but I bet Texas didn't suspect that one of the nation's best programs would come after one of their assistants. I remember Muschamp turned down a pretty substantial offer from Tennessee when Kiffin bolted one year before
East Coast Mustang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball