PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jankovich

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jankovich

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:04 pm

PAC 12 is a better hoops conference top to bottom than the SEC imo.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:17 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Tennessee is a much better job than Cal IMO. Much better facilities and more TV exposure being in the SEC. I think MArtin was tired of living in Bruce Pearl's shadow there

True for football, but not at all for basketball.
mustangxc

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:24 pm

Jank is the unsung hero. He's in a great spot right now and so are we.
Pony ^

Postby Harry0569 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:29 pm

mustangxc wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:Tennessee is a much better job than Cal IMO. Much better facilities and more TV exposure being in the SEC. I think MArtin was tired of living in Bruce Pearl's shadow there

then I ask (snarkily), when was the last time a PAC-12 team was in a final four, national champ game, won a NC in b-ball?

2008 UCLA
2006 UCLA
1997 Zona

+ SEC NETWORK >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything in terms of exposure.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby sbsmith » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:30 pm

mustangxc wrote:
sbsmith wrote:Money, fan support and history are better at Tennessee. Conference affiliation might be a push since Louisville is leaving the AAC.

We're in the better basketball conference, there's less pressure at Tulsa, and both have similar history of success.

Better basketball conference is debatable. We had 1 more NCAA team but that team is leaving and they had a better conference RPI. Not to mention that we're adding a couple of 200+ RPI spares in ECU and Tulane. There's less pressure to win at Tulsa which is not necessarily a good thing (Tennessee has big time fan support which means big time pressure to win). Tennessee has more NCAA appearances (20 to 15) and more Sweet 16s (7 to 3).
Last edited by sbsmith on Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:40 pm

Harry0569 wrote:
mustangxc wrote:

then I ask (snarkily), when was the last time a PAC-12 team was in a final four, national champ game, won a NC in b-ball?

2008 UCLA
2006 UCLA
1997 Zona

+ SEC NETWORK >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything in terms of exposure.

I believe the PAS 12 has a network a well. From top to bottom last year the PAC 12 was better. The SEC is top heavy.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:41 pm

You guys are smoking crack if you think the Tulsa job is even remotely comparable to Tennessee.

As for Cal, it's not really close either. Tennessee plays in a huge, newly renovated gym and has been top 10 or top 5 in attendance pretty consistently. Huge fanbase, great facilities, and they're always going to be on ESPN or CBS playing the likes of Kentucky, Florida, and Memphis. Cal's arena is a dump and I can't remember the last time I saw one of their games on TV unless it was FS1 at 11pm central time.

Cuonzo was trying to extend his career it sounds like, he never really connected with the fanbase in Knoxville and probably saw the writing on the wall with McRae and Stokes leaving and a potentially down year next year. I think he's a good coach though, UT just wasn't a good fit for him.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Harry0569 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:51 pm

SMU 86 wrote:I believe the PAS 12 has a network a well. From top to bottom last year the PAC 12 was better. The SEC is top heavy.

The SEC Network, I believe, will be fully distributed (a la ESPN distribution), as opposed to Pac-12, which has almost non-existent distribution.

I agree that Pac 12 was more competitive top to bottom, just had to poke fun at the Pac 12's lack of success if the tourney.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby blackoutpony » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:59 pm

Harry0569 wrote:
SMU 86 wrote:I believe the PAS 12 has a network a well. From top to bottom last year the PAC 12 was better. The SEC is top heavy.

The SEC Network, I believe, will be fully distributed (a la ESPN distribution), as opposed to Pac-12, which has almost non-existent distribution.

I agree that Pac 12 was more competitive top to bottom, just had to poke fun at the Pac 12's lack of success if the tourney.

Since I grew up in California, I can tell you that, in general, no one gives a [deleted] about pac-12 hoops. Outside of the schools themselves, I've hardly ever heard anyone bring up pac-12 basketball. I hear more people talk about Gonzaga and SDSU than USC or Cal. Pac-12 football is a whole other ball game and everyone pays attention. Just my observation

In this instance, I have to say SEC > Pac-12 and I absolutely despise the SEC.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyFan » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:24 pm

ojaipony wrote:NorCal > Knoxville

And it's not even close.

Disagree. There's a lot to like about California, of course, but Knoxville is a great college town/city, and not to be overlooked is the fact that a dollar (or a few million of them) stretches a lot further in Knoxville, since California is absurdly expensive. Coach at Tennessee, make a zillion bucks, have a shot at the Kentuckys of the world, and if you really want to, take a luxury vacation to California.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:35 pm

we should NEVER overlook the fact that Jank brought us little Nic. where would we have been without them? Let's hope he likes Dallas and SMU enough to succeed Coach Brown as planned
Charleston Pony

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:51 pm

PonyFan wrote:
ojaipony wrote:NorCal > Knoxville

And it's not even close.

Disagree. There's a lot to like about California, of course, but Knoxville is a great college town/city, and not to be overlooked is the fact that a dollar (or a few million of them) stretches a lot further in Knoxville, since California is absurdly expensive. Coach at Tennessee, make a zillion bucks, have a shot at the Kentuckys of the world, and if you really want to, take a luxury vacation to California.

Yeah, I've been to both and if I had to pick one I'd go with Knoxville. Beautiful area of the country, cheap cost of living, and Jerry Brown isn't your Governor. Yeah Tennessee is a little weird but it's not like Northern California is a bastion of normalcy.

But like I said Cuonzo was probably on his way out after next year anyways so it was a smart choice on his part for his career
East Coast Mustang

Postby The Falcon » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:11 pm

This thread serves to remind me that I know very little about Coach Jank. I know that he brought
little Nic to SMU and that he had a Big Dance team in Illinois before he came here. And I know
that Brown brought him here as a coach in waiting (insurance policy.)

Will someone in the know please describe the positive things he brings to SMU. I see him on
the bench during games and he appears sullen. I see him say a few words to LB during games
but I have never seen him interviewed. He certainly doesn't project any fire or enthusiasm.

This is not meant to tear him down. I want to hear that he is a charismatic leader and that he
has many strengths that will help us. And, God forbid, if LB should leave- do we feel good
about Jankovich?
The Falcon
All-American

Postby GreenbeltPony » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:40 pm

The Falcon wrote:...I see him on the bench during games and he appears sullen...

He's probably spending a lot of time analyzing and learning from LB.
"Greenbelt Pony is right" - PonyPride
GreenbeltPony
Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:53 am

I believe he was interviewed at halftime of the UConn game in Storrs
East Coast Mustang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball