PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Home and Home with Gonzaga

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Home and Home with Gonzaga

Postby friarwolf » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:43 am

We need to get into that pre-season NIT......
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby CoxMustangFan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:31 am

OhioBrownFan wrote:Why are people acting like those teams had weak RPIs? Every one of them were inside the Top 100 and would be looked at very favorably by the committee.

I couldn't care less what the 2013 RPI's were. I care about what the 2014 RPI's will be. My point was that even if those three teams (four including Gonzaga) aren't in the top 50, they still bring value in scheduling.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby Harry0569 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:33 am

CoxMustangFan wrote:
OhioBrownFan wrote:Why are people acting like those teams had weak RPIs? Every one of them were inside the Top 100 and would be looked at very favorably by the committee.

I couldn't care less what the 2013 RPI's were. I care about what the 2014 RPI's will be. My point was that even if those three teams (four including Gonzaga) aren't in the top 50, they still bring value in scheduling.

Agreed. It's about building a national brand/following. Hell, 15 years ago, I doubt more than a handful of people outside the Pacific NW could tell you where Gonzaga was on a map (outside of those people who love John Stockton). Today, there are a mid-major power that has cache with recruits and the national media.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTime » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:52 am

Harry0569 wrote:
CoxMustangFan wrote:

Agreed. It's about building a national brand/following. Hell, 15 years ago, I doubt more than a handful of people outside the Pacific NW could tell you where Gonzaga was on a map (outside of those people who love John Stockton). Today, there are a mid-major power that has cache with recruits and the national media.

This post made me wonder what happened to Adam Morrison, who helped launch Gonzaga - just looked him up - was shocked at how quickly he fell from #3 draft pick to retired player - only 28 games started in the NBA - Q. Ross had a much more impressive career - WOW:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Morrison
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyinNC » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:56 am

Harry0569 wrote:
CoxMustangFan wrote:

and quite possibly the best Mustacheoed player in history...

ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MFFL02 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:01 am

They always put up that graphic with our record vs top 50 rpi teams, right now we only have 1 ooc game vs a top 50 rpi team from last season. We need to play at least 4-5 top 50 rpi games ooc.
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby PonyRef » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:01 am

Getting the Gonzaga's, NC State's, tourney's etc. is great and needed, but what really killed our RPI was the bottom part of OOC schedule. No more SWAC. No more Southland. No more whatever Texas-PanAm is. Playing UIC as pointed out at home will not help. We need to target more of the top end of the mid-majors for the "backend" of the schedule. Play as many A-10 as possible, because obviously the RPI loves them (somehow eastcoast bias?). UMass being a top-20 and somehow top-10 RPI team all year long even when the lost to the bottom of their conference by double digits at home was a joke that got them a #6 seed. Anyway, let's keep the backend no lower than 200 RPI.
PonyRef
Scout Team

Postby Grant Carter » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:06 am

PonyRef wrote:Getting the Gonzaga's, NC State's, tourney's etc. is great and needed, but what really killed our RPI was the bottom part of OOC schedule. No more SWAC. No more Southland. No more whatever Texas-PanAm is. Playing UIC as pointed out at home will not help. We need to target more of the top end of the mid-majors for the "backend" of the schedule. Play as many A-10 as possible, because obviously the RPI loves them (somehow eastcoast bias?). UMass being a top-20 and somehow top-10 RPI team all year long even when the lost to the bottom of their conference by double digits at home was a joke that got them a #6 seed. Anyway, let's keep the backend no lower than 200 RPI.

If you think the RPI could in any way have an east coast bias you have lost all credibility on the subject.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyRef » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:22 am

The east coast comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Just thought the A10 was way overrated in RPI in general and UMass in particular. As I pointed out, I know the issue is the bottom of the schedule. There was a great articule (ESPN.com, I think) that compared UMass and SMU. SMU was much better against the top part of the schedule, but just the fact that they even played low RPI teams brought our RPI down. That is why I said that we need to fix the bottom part of our schedule. The real problem is that they need to get away from reliance on RPI and use the more complex ratings like BPI, Sagarin, etc. But, until then address the bottom part of schedule to bump up the RPI.
PonyRef
Scout Team

Postby blackoutpony » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:28 am

I understand why hoopmanx has disappeared from the board now......
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:48 am

Won't need to worry about RPI when we win the conference tournament, will we?
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyRef » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:22 pm

It should be less an issue next year,assuming that we take care of business like we all think. It will impact their seeding (see Louisville this year at #4).
PonyRef
Scout Team

Postby OhioBrownFan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:28 pm

blackoutpony wrote:I understand why hoopmanx has disappeared from the board now......

No kidding, and I miss him being around. Got no one to talk AAU and prospects with anymore. Although LA does a good job of getting out and seeing the local kids it seems like, and I know there are others too.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:33 pm

blackoutpony wrote:I understand why hoopmanx has disappeared from the board now......

Lol, i still read, albeit Mostly w eye rolls and a smirk on my face.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby OhioBrownFan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:41 pm

hoopmanx wrote:

Lol, i still read, albeit Mostly w eye rolls and a smirk on my face.

:lol:
Here's a good link for ya Hoopman, you'll appreciate it I think
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... basketball
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball