PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Top 10 Transfers Available

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Top 10 Transfers Available

Postby StandUp » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:53 am

Don't know if SMU is still looking, but whether or not we sign Mr. Myles Turner... We might still have one available spot on our roster. Wouldn't mind adding Sean Obi (Rice Freshman) or Danuel House (Houston Sophomore). Both young and talented.

According to Bleacher Report here is a list of players who have announced that they are transferring to another school.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2028 ... -offseason

Player School Pos Ht Wt Class (this season)
Danuel House Houston G/F 6'7" 195lbs SO 14ppg 5rpg 2apg
TaShawn Thomas Houston F 6'8" 240lbs JR 15ppg 8rpg 3bpg 59% FG%
Sean Obi Rice F 6'9" 265lbs FR 11ppg 9rpg 1bpg 59% FG%
Matt Carlino BYU PG 6'2" 175lbs JR 13ppg 3rpg 4apg
Eron Harris West Virginia G 6'3" ??? SO 17ppg 4rpg
Ryan Anderson Boston College F 6'8" 219lbs JR 14ppg 7rpg 1apg 1bpg
Brian Williams Oklahoma State G/F 6'5" 210lbs JR 6ppg 3rpg 48% FG%
Ian Chiles IUPUI G 6'1" 200lbs SR 16ppg 3rpg 2apg
Kareem Canty Marshall G 6'1" 185lbs FR 16ppg 2rpg 5apg
MJ Rhett Tennessee State F 6'8" ??? ?? 11ppg 9rpg
StandUp
Varsity

Re: Top 10 Transfers Available

Postby JoeKidd » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:35 am

StandUp wrote:Don't know if SMU is still looking, but whether or not we sign Mr. Myles Turner... We might still have one available spot on our roster. Wouldn't mind adding Sean Obi (Rice Freshman) or Danuel House (Houston Sophomore). Both young and talented.

According to Bleacher Report here is a list of players who have announced that they are transferring to another school.

Both House and Thomas looked good against us.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby blackoutpony » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:15 am

JoeKidd wrote:
StandUp wrote:Don't know if SMU is still looking, but whether or not we sign Mr. Myles Turner... We might still have one available spot on our roster. Wouldn't mind adding Sean Obi (Rice Freshman) or Danuel House (Houston Sophomore). Both young and talented.

Both House and Thomas looked good against us.

AAC has a two year sit out rule if you transfer within the conference, so there is no way either will want to sit on the bench for two years. There's no way Houston would let them come here anyway. They can block transfers to certain schools.

Also, it makes more sense to get a shooter in here that can help off the bench every now and then. I want McCaw personally.

And one more side note, bleacher report is the most worthless piece of crap website for sports reporting ever. They have no idea what statistics are and are complete idiots. Half the time writers don't know jack [deleted] about the teams they are covering. A word to the wise, never cite bleacher report. For anything. Ever.

And because I know standup will whine about it, no this isn't a shot at you. I'm just saying that any knowledgeable sports fan knows that website is more worthless that a hobo on bath salts
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ojaipony » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:32 am

Any shooters on the list? That want to "come home"?

Eron Harris is a scorer, that's for sure.
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ojaipony » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:39 am

I don't think Thomas leaves. House seems gone. Neither are officially gone yet.
ojaipony

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:46 am

None of these guys would be eligible next season anyway.....well maybe Chiles if he's graduated.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Harry0569 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:11 pm

blackoutpony wrote:
AAC has a two year sit out rule if you transfer within the conference, so there is no way either will want to sit on the bench for two years. There's no way Houston would let them come here anyway. They can block transfers to certain schools.

Also, it makes more sense to get a shooter in here that can help off the bench every now and then. I want McCaw personally.

And one more side note, bleacher report is the most worthless piece of crap website for sports reporting ever. They have no idea what statistics are and are complete idiots. Half the time writers don't know jack [deleted] about the teams they are covering. A word to the wise, never cite bleacher report. For anything. Ever.

And because I know standup will whine about it, no this isn't a shot at you. I'm just saying that any knowledgeable sports fan knows that website is more worthless that a hobo on bath salts

While I agree with you for the most part, BR has really beefed up its basketball coverage by hiring top notch journalists (Jason King from Yahoo Sports, Howard Beck from NYT, Kevin Ding, Ethan J. Skolnick and Jared Zwerling formerly of ESPN, SI and CBS).

They are moving away from their model of having random "journalists" off the street spew crap out of their [deleted]. They are trying to become more reputable. Still, it's not a site that I tend to read unless I am reading articles by the journalists I mentioned above.

Full Disclosure: I may work for BR's parent company.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby OhioBrownFan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:29 pm

Here's a link the board might be interested in. I use it a lot to keep track of where people are heading in the off-season and to help identify schools for business.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... basketball
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby StandUp » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:49 pm

blackoutpony - No one said that Bleacher Report was Gospel. Their journalism and writing has definitely improved over the past year, credit to them. No doubt that there are articles written on Bleacher Report for entertainment purposes only. I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you tell the difference between entertainment and substance. A list of top transfers is substance. (especially when SMU still has two, possibly three spots available on our roster). When I am looking for words of advice blackoutpony, you will be the first person I ask :)
StandUp
Varsity

Postby Pony147 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:51 am

OhioBrownFan wrote:Here's a link the board might be interested in. I use it a lot to keep track of where people are heading in the off-season and to help identify schools for business.

Damn that's a lot of players
"[College] referees couldn't manage a White Castle." -Mark Cuban
Pony147
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:50 am

Whatever happened to the double sport national gold chip WR/Forward who lead his team past Frazier's Kimball team in last year's Texas 5A Championship? Forgetting his name. Had something like 28 points 15 rebounds. Signed with Miami but I think he went to Prep school to qualify. Probably best pure athlete out there.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby OhioBrownFan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:53 am

Pony147 wrote:
OhioBrownFan wrote:Here's a link the board might be interested in. I use it a lot to keep track of where people are heading in the off-season and to help identify schools for business.

Yeah, that's why people complain about it really being a problem in basketball. I think I read a stat that like 50% of college basketball players will transfer in their 4 years at least once or something ridiculous like that.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby SMU 86 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:10 am

OhioBrownFan wrote:
Pony147 wrote:

Yeah, that's why people complain about it really being a problem in basketball. I think I read a stat that like 50% of college basketball players will transfer in their 4 years at least once or something ridiculous like that.

I don't see it as a problem. It helped us. Beside it's free world.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby OhioBrownFan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:17 am

I think it's a very good thing as well. But a lot of coaches and others don't like it.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby mathman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:50 am

I agree with SMU 86. The kids should have the right to change schools. They get to a school and find out the coach wasn't exactly honest with him ( shock, shock) or he doesn't fit in with the team or other students. I also think the one year of sitting out is good as well. Would think it keeps at least some of the recruiting at bay. I don't agree with a coach being able to restrict an athlete from going to certain schools. Might be a good reason for it if someone would like to share.
When will I start feeling stimulated??
mathman
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball