PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Myles Turner to Announce on April 30th

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Myles Turner to Announce on April 30th

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:16 am

BREAKING: Sources close to process have indicated to me that the WDNWHA Committee is nearing a WDNWHA decision on Turner.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:18 am

Pweesey wrote:You guys bashing Turner should email your thoughts to Coach Brown. Our HOF coach is apparently unaware that Turner is a drama queen who will ruin the team chemistry, barely play, and distract the team somehow because analysts might discuss his draft status.

You're missing the point and making it personal. We like Myles fine, he just isn't so great as to change our trajectory much. None of these schools need him. They just want him. I wouldn't give us one extra seed in the postseason, just by having Myles. This is luxury time, not recruiting holes.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JoeKidd » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:40 am

hoopmanx wrote:
Pweesey wrote:You guys bashing Turner should email your thoughts to Coach Brown. Our HOF coach is apparently unaware that Turner is a drama queen who will ruin the team chemistry, barely play, and distract the team somehow because analysts might discuss his draft status.

You're missing the point and making it personal. We like Myles fine, he just isn't so great as to change our trajectory much. None of these schools need him. They just want him. I wouldn't give us one extra seed in the postseason, just by having Myles. This is luxury time, not recruiting holes.

Very well said.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:44 am

spring signing date came and went and very few of the remaining kids signed including the kids SMU has been rumored to be after during last year. Think of the spring date as more of a signing period rather than signing date. Its always been different than the football signing date
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby MFFL02 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:56 am

JoeKidd wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:

Very well said.

Myles isn't so great as to change our trajectory much? He's projected to be a 1 and done, top 10 NBA pick. Seriously, what are you talking about?
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby Stallion » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:05 am

they are saying that although he has the physical skills that project as a great player and NBA prospect that his timeline for physical growth and development might take a little longer so that he might not be too much better as a true freshman than what we already got. Great recruits and great NBA prospects aren't always a finished, polished prospect these days
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mathman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:13 am

Here's an abbreviated evaluation Eric Bossi put on the national board a couple of days ago in relation to MT.

1) Thinks Turner stays in the state of Texas and UT is leading.
2) Not sure he is a OAD player right now.
3) Great size but pretty mechanical in movement. Not overly athletic. Might be because he is still growing and still maturing physically.
4) Right now he thinks he might be rated a couple of spots too high.
5) Super prospect with lots of upside.
6) Against other bigs he seems to rely too much on jump shot and he's more good than great as a jump shooter.
When will I start feeling stimulated??
mathman
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:57 am

Honest question, not rhetorical: How much of an upgrade would Myles be over Cannen Cunningham for next year alone? They seem similar in size/stature and playing style (good mid-range games), so how much better would a blue-chip 5star talent like Myles be at age 18 over a guy like Cannen who was a 4-star out of HS, has had three years to get acclimated to the college game and two years in LB's system?
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby sjackson » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:29 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:Honest question, not rhetorical: How much of an upgrade would Myles be over Cannen Cunningham for next year alone? They seem similar in size/stature and playing style (good mid-range games), so how much better would a blue-chip 5star talent like Myles be at age 18 over a guy like Cannen who was a 4-star out of HS, has had three years to get acclimated to the college game and two years in LB's system?

EXCELLENT question...
sjackson
Scout Team

Postby Ponyneighbor » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:42 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:Honest question, not rhetorical: How much of an upgrade would Myles be over Cannen Cunningham for next year alone? They seem similar in size/stature and playing style (good mid-range games), so how much better would a blue-chip 5star talent like Myles be at age 18 over a guy like Cannen who was a 4-star out of HS, has had three years to get acclimated to the college game and two years in LB's system?

Thank you!

I've only seen him on TV, but Miles looks like a slightly fancier version of Cannen and Yannick. We really need to further dilute playing time among those guys?

E-man a) fills serveral HUGE needs in our lineup; b) might possibly be underrated by some recruiting services. I'd be really bummed if he weren't coming here. I don't feel that way about Myles at all.
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:02 pm

If Cannen will keep his motor running the entire time he's on the court, he's great. He can drive you crazy when he floats at times but there is no denying his talent. Also, of all the guys who have played for LB at SMU, Cannen and Ryan will be the first two who came to SMU out of high school and stayed four years. We know LB is very loyal to upperclassmen so my guess is he'll use both a lot next season, especially Cannen.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby No Quarter » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:00 pm

mrydel wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:With two more whole weeks we should be able to get another good 10-12 threads on Turner.

Ha ha. Start a poll on how many more threads there will be about him.

The above accepts that 30 April will be the date. Maybe the poll should be about the likely date if it slips past the end of this month...
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Pweesey » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:29 pm

hoopmanx wrote:

What have I made personal? He's either a take or he isn't. If he is, he's a take in late April- 2 weeks after the start of this signing period- just as he was in November.

Has he misled anybody? I haven't heard that he has, but I'm familiar with your posts and you know a lot more about recruiting than I do.
Last edited by Pweesey on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pweesey
Junior Varsity

Postby The PonyGrad » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:45 pm

Ponyneighbor wrote:

Thank you!

I've only seen him on TV, but Miles looks like a slightly fancier version of Cannen and Yannick. We really need to further dilute playing time among those guys?

E-man a) fills serveral HUGE needs in our lineup; b) might possibly be underrated by some recruiting services. I'd be really bummed if he weren't coming here. I don't feel that way about Myles at all.

EMan signed a LOI already. He is coming.
8)
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby B1GPonyFan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:52 pm

Saw something where Turner has been receiving and will be receiving some in home visits this week. Sounds like Texas, Duke and Kansas are among them. Didn't see anything on SMU. Who knows if that means anything or not. Losing sleep over this is something I'm not doing.
B1GPonyFan
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball