PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Myles Turner to Announce on April 30th

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Myles Turner to Announce on April 30th

Postby StandUp » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:57 pm

Interesting that nbadraft.net has their 2015 NBA Mock Draft posted
#1 Emmanuel Mudiay
#10 Myles Turner

Surprised to see Myles Turner listed at #10 and not higher. I know that it is early and all this is speculation, really just guesses and opinions, but Mudiay at #1 is nice to see. FWIW nbadraft.net is known for being pretty spot on with their attempts to identify top talent.
StandUp
Varsity

Postby CoxMustangFan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:22 pm

hoopmanx wrote:Turner is very good, but it's stockpiling for the sake of stockpiling. That said, I've been a round the block some, and don't begrudge the kid or his people at all for grandstanding. That's part of the game, no worries here. I also want who Larry wants, so no complaints.

The reality is that there isn't that much burn to go around, and those that say he's a given, mostly b/c of his high school stature, also thought Keith would be our leading scorer. Turner is a talent, can always use those, but he might not even get 10 minutes per,muchless 10ppg. I'm all about quality depth, but I really don't want to spend a year, talking about Turners draft status relative to not doing diddly for SMU. Seems like a hassle, when we're gonna be great anyway, but whatever

Agree completely. Truth is, not one of the schools that is a "finalist" actually needs him. He's a skin on the wall that will provide NBA updates for years to come...
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:35 pm

Keith will end up being our highest scorer.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pweesey » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:41 pm

You guys bashing Turner should email your thoughts to Coach Brown. Our HOF coach is apparently unaware that Turner is a drama queen who will ruin the team chemistry, barely play, and distract the team somehow because analysts might discuss his draft status.
Pweesey
Junior Varsity

Postby blackoutpony » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:28 pm

Pweesey wrote:You guys bashing Turner should email your thoughts to Coach Brown. Our HOF coach is apparently unaware that Turner is a drama queen who will ruin the team chemistry, barely play, and distract the team somehow because analysts might discuss his draft status.

Mrydel must have been accepting a lot of resumes for the WDAWHA committee.

Must be internship season
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:33 pm

The WDNWHA Committee was formed specifically to stop these arguments. We decide if SMU wants a player or not. That is it. The coaches are free to recruit (some choose not to) but in the end the WDNWHA Committee has the final say.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:51 pm

mrydel wrote:it. The coaches are free to recruit (some choose not to)

LOL. A+
CalallenStang

Postby MFFL02 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:20 am

PoconoPony wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:Turner is very good, but it's stockpiling for the sake of stockpiling. That said, I've been a round the block some, and don't begrudge the kid or his people at all for grandstanding. That's part of the game, no worries here. I also want who Larry wants, so no complaints.

The reality is that there isn't that much burn to go around, and those that say he's a given, mostly b/c of his high school stature, also thought Keith would be our leading scorer. Turner is a talent, can always use those, but he might not even get 10 minutes per,muchless 10ppg. I'm all about quality depth, but I really don't want to spend a year, talking about Turners draft status relative to not doing diddly for SMU. Seems like a hassle, when we're gonna be great anyway, but whatever

My thoughts exactly. Everyone should not assume he is an instant finished product and deserved center of attention. SMU is a team and LB teaches the team concept which means Turner might not have a full time roll for several years.

If SMU didn't want him, we would have given our last scholarship out to someone else. Of course we want Turner. He's the #2 overall ranked player by ESPN. And, of course, he would play more than 10 minutes per game, he would play 25-30 mpg. If Larry wants Myles, I want Myles. But yes, if he goes elsewhere we'll still be a great team and I'm looking forward to an exciting season. But, Myles, if he reaches his potential, could take us over the top!
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby Big12Mustang » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:22 am

I think Mudiay is better than Myles...so I won't feel bad at all if we don't get him. 8)
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:27 am

mrydel wrote:The WDNWHA Committee was formed specifically to stop these arguments. We decide if SMU wants a player or not. That is it. The coaches are free to recruit (some choose not to) but in the end the WDNWHA Committee has the final say.

Has my application to serve as spiritual advisor for the committee been received and reviewed yet? Still waiting to hear.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:18 am

We have budgeted for a Chaplin next year and I am certain you will be selected. We have used our separate savior fund to pay Larry Brown the past 2 years but increased attendance allows us to add you next season. Of course you will not have a vote but your wisdom and guidance will be well received.
mrydel

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:34 am

mrydel wrote: We have budgeted for a Chaplin.

The Charlie kind?
Bergermeister

Postby mrydel » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:02 am

Bergermeister wrote:
mrydel wrote: We have budgeted for a Chaplin.

The Charlie kind?

Yes. Apparently you have never met the Reverend Webster.
mrydel

Postby B1GPonyFan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:43 am

Thank you! I have no problem with SMU taking this to its conclusion. You stay in this until you're no longer in it. BTW, the late signing period started April 16 and runs through May 21.
B1GPonyFan
Varsity

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:11 am

MFFL02 wrote:
PoconoPony wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Everyone should not assume he is an instant finished product and deserved center of attention. SMU is a team and LB teaches the team concept which means Turner might not have a full time roll

If SMU didn't want him, we would have given our last scholarship out to someone else. Of course we want Turner. He's the #2 overall ranked player by ESPN. And, of course, he would play more than 10 minutes per game, he would play 25-30 mpg. If Larry wants Myles, I want Myles. But yes, if he goes elsewhere we'll still be a great team and I'm looking forward to an exciting season. But, Myles, if he reaches his potential, could take us over the top!

Lol, you havent see a ton of Myles. You want to make a bet on him playing 25-30 per, if he comes?
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball