PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hardship waiver rule likely changing

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Hardship waiver rule likely changing

Postby B1GPonyFan » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:35 am

This won't impact Jordan Tolbert....

Story:
Student-athletes who seek transfers due to "difficult life circumstances" will have to sit out a season at their new schools but will gain an extra year of eligibility starting in 2015-16, according to a proposal by the NCAA Division I Leadership Council.

The council recommended the elimination of immediate eligibility for players approved for hardship waivers. The NCAA says the proposed change would give athletes a year to focus on academics and the circumstances that led them to transfer in the first place before they can play.

The proposal is also intended to reduce concerns about waiver process abuse and claims of inconsistent decision-making. The NCAA approved 127 of 236 such waivers from July 2012 to June 2013.

The NCAA's board of directors will rule on the proposal on April 24.
B1GPonyFan
Varsity

Re: Hardship waiver rule likely changing

Postby mrydel » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:02 pm

I actually think this is a good idea. Keeps a handle on some of the shadiness. You have to do it for everyone or no one and they have chosen no one.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:44 am

Kids should be able to transfer and play since they are not getting paid for playing. They shouldn't be penalized for it imo. Most everyone would probably be ticked off if the rule applied to Tolbert.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mustangxc » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:53 am

If a player gets released from a team or gets the blessing of transferring from the previous team to be closer to home then I think the player should be eligible immediately.
mustangxc

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:59 am

mustangxc wrote:If a player gets released from a team or gets the blessing of transferring from the previous team to be closer to home then I think the player should be eligible immediately.

Totally agree.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mrydel » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Where do you put the mileage for closer to home. I guess if a kid from Dallas went to Washington and transferred to Wyoming they are immediately eligible. But if they went to Baylor they would have to sit out if they went to UT. It is all too arbitrary. If you are not going to make snug of them sit out, none should have to sit out period. I would be fine either way. Just do not leave the decision of to a room of NCAA yokels.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mustangxc » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:32 pm

mrydel wrote:Where do you put the mileage for closer to home. I guess if a kid from Dallas went to Washington and transferred to Wyoming they are immediately eligible. But if they went to Baylor they would have to sit out if they went to UT. It is all too arbitrary. If you are not going to make snug of them sit out, none should have to sit out period. I would be fine either way. Just do not leave the decision of to a room of NCAA yokels.

50 mile radius from their parent's zip code?
mustangxc

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:57 pm

mustangxc wrote:
mrydel wrote:Where do you put the mileage for closer to home. I guess if a kid from Dallas went to Washington and transferred to Wyoming they are immediately eligible. But if they went to Baylor they would have to sit out if they went to UT. It is all too arbitrary. If you are not going to make snug of them sit out, none should have to sit out period. I would be fine either way. Just do not leave the decision of to a room of NCAA yokels.

50 mile radius from their parent's zip code?

Closet D1A school to home that has a scholarship available that wants them to transfer to their school, so 100 mile radius with flexibility for usual circumstances imo.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Return to Basketball