PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Possible Transfer: Elijah Brown (Butler)

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Possible Transfer: Elijah Brown (Butler)

Postby blackoutpony » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:53 pm

mrydel wrote:I cannot agree with Blackout Pony. I think Butler was within 1 inch, not 2.

mrydel is right..... I originally put 1 inch and changed it to 2 after thinking about it.... I was gonna settle on 1.5, but that seemed knit picky
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby StandUp » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:32 pm

With our roster as is, we are definitely a Top 20 Program next year. Add Myles Turner and we become a Top 10 Program. A Basketball Powerhouse. Guess we will find out in 9 days.

No one is saying that we are Kentucky. No one is saying that we are Butler. SMU is now in the discussion when it comes to basketball schools on the rise. No doubt that Butler built their program showing consistency over several years. Look at what Gonzaga did. SMU is just starting our run. No one needs to cool their jets. SMU is legit. Just thought that it would be interesting to bring up Butler since that is where Elijah Brown currently goes to school. Butler fell apart without Coach Brad Stevens. SMU can become the next Butler. Very possible. Our team is deeper than any Butler Team that I can remember. Personally I think that we can be better than Butler (during their run). Our school is in Dallas. Recruits are recognizing just how strong our team could be over the next few years. No reason why Elijah Brown would not want to be part of a winning program at SMU. Come to SMU and play with Elijah Thomas. The Elijah Brothers at SMU :)

Regarding SMU needing a SG or SF. By last count SMU still has one maybe two spots open on our roster. The consensus on ponyfans.com over the past month is that SMU could use a SG. Nick Russell graduated. That is why we were interested in Pat McCaw, he committed to UNLV. Ryan Manuel is not the answer. Crandall Head is not the answer. Hopefully Keith Frazier's game continues to develop and he learns to play better defense. Hopefullly KF is the answer, rooting for him, but the jury is still out.

Regarding needing a SF, who will back up Sterling Brown? There is your question. Personally I believe that LB will probably continue to play with a 3 guard lineup. Ben Moore will probably move into Shawn Williams PF position.

Regarding Butler's incredible run in the NCAA Tournament a few year ago, missing a half court prayer at the buzzer vs Duke. Credit to Butler and Coach Brad Stevens. Anything can happen in the tournament. See this year, UCONN. SMU will be in the NCAA Tournament next season. Again, anything can happen.
StandUp
Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:43 pm

StandUp wrote:Regarding needing a SF, who will back up Sterling Brown?

Tolbert, if he's eligible IMO. Also Keith or Manuel can play that bigger guard spot.

If Turner doesn't come here next year, this is starting 5 IMO

G- N. Moore
G- Mudiay
G- Sterling Brown
F- Markus
F- B.Moore or Cannen
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby StandUp » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:52 pm

Agreed. Your Starting 5 looks about right.
StandUp
Varsity

Postby OhioBrownFan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:56 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:

Tolbert, if he's eligible IMO. Also Keith or Manuel can play that bigger guard spot.

G- N. Moore
G- Mudiay
G- Sterling Brown
F- Markus
F- B.Moore or Cannen

I'm still holding out hope that Ben Moore improves his dribbling and lateral quickness to play the 3.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby ojaipony » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:01 pm

OhioBrownFan wrote:

G- N. Moore
G- Mudiay
G- Sterling Brown
F- Markus
F- B.Moore or Cannen

I'm still holding out hope that Ben Moore improves his dribbling and lateral quickness to play the 3.

Mudiay
N. Moore
Sterling
Tolbert
Markus

helluva bench with Frazier, Yannick, Cannen, B. Moore, Manuel (still wish we had a "bench ballhandler/shooter" and let Manuel just be an athlete . . . need that way more than Turner).

This gives us 4 starters (even Sterling to a lesser degree) who can create their own offense . . . we should average 5+ more points/game this coming year with what seemingly doesn't seem to be a drop in defense. Sounds low, but adding net 5 points/game could give 3-4 more wins (this year we lost to UVA, UH, and Minn by that margin) easy.
ojaipony

Postby Big12Mustang » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:38 pm

I would put Keith to start at 3 instead of Sterling...
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:49 pm

OhioBrownFan wrote:

G- N. Moore
G- Mudiay
G- Sterling Brown
F- Markus
F- B.Moore or Cannen

He seems like a pure 4 to me. I think he'd get killed off the dribble by smaller, quicker guards that play the 3 in college baskebtall
East Coast Mustang

Postby OhioBrownFan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:57 pm

OhioBrownFan wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:Tolbert, if he's eligible IMO. Also Keith or Manuel can play that bigger guard spot.

G- N. Moore
G- Mudiay
G- Sterling Brown
F- Markus
F- B.Moore or Cannen

He seems like a pure 4 to me. I think he'd get killed off the dribble by smaller, quicker guards that play the 3 in college baskebtall

I'm not disagreeing one bit. But I know where his best chance to get drafted is, he needs those two deficiencies unless he's growing another few inches and adding some good weight. I'm not counting on the latter to happen
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby smu2004 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:27 am

Big12Mustang wrote:I would put Keith to start at 3 instead of Sterling...

I agree...I think Keith has a huge summer and wins that spot. That's what's so nice about having a lot of talent on the roster...everyday is a competition. It makes everyone better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
smu2004
Varsity

Postby PonySnob » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:05 am

Hit the books Keith!!!
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Big12Mustang » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:07 am

PonySnob wrote:Hit the books Keith!!!

This.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:53 am

we have two or three that need to hit the books and stay out of harms way. That is by far our biggest weakness.
gostangs

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:55 am

Markus posted a picture of him in Keith in study hall together last night. Hopefully they're finishing this semester strong academically and ready to work hard this summer towards next season.
East Coast Mustang

Postby Ponyneighbor » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:59 am

How do you guys know this? Do you get their report cards?
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball