PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Loudest buildings I've been in

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Loudest buildings I've been in

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:07 am

I've been to a lot of sporting events at many venues in my life. And I know when events are fresh in your mind they seem to be grander but two venues in the last few months stick out as being the loudest, most raucous I can ever remember. Crazy thing is what the events were - SMU basketball and Dallas Stars hockey. Never in my life did I think I would say that and be serious, but it's true.

Moody was flat out insane the last few games this year. As an SMU fan, I'm extremely proud of that and I hope it carries on into next season, which I have no doubt it will. The AAC last night was just as crazy. Like at Moody this year, the crowd was buzzing the entire game and it never let up. We all know Dallas loves a winner but SMU basketball and Stars hockey, who woulda thunk it?
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Loudest buildings I've been in

Postby OhioBrownFan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:40 am

Hockey is the absolute best, I'll be at the Joe tonight for the B's game. That place is going to be electric. Nothing tops playoff hockey, not even NFL as far as atmosphere.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:49 am

Overtime playoff hockey is the most exciting thing in sports
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby AustinPerson » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:55 am

I'll never forget the atmosphere at the SMU-Navy game in Annapolis for New Year's Eve in 2002 or 2003.
AustinPerson
All-American

Postby gostangs » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:55 am

I agree. I cant stand regular hockey, but OT playoff hockey is the most dramatic sporting event you can see. Literally every shot is do or die.
gostangs

Postby EconPony'10 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:41 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:I've been to a lot of sporting events at many venues in my life. And I know when events are fresh in your mind they seem to be grander but two venues in the last few months stick out as being the loudest, most raucous I can ever remember. Crazy thing is what the events were - SMU basketball and Dallas Stars hockey. Never in my life did I think I would say that and be serious, but it's true.

Moody was flat out insane the last few games this year. As an SMU fan, I'm extremely proud of that and I hope it carries on into next season, which I have no doubt it will. The AAC last night was just as crazy. Like at Moody this year, the crowd was buzzing the entire game and it never let up. We all know Dallas loves a winner but SMU basketball and Stars hockey, who woulda thunk it?

I was there too last night and it was crazy in AAC
EconPony'10
Varsity

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:06 pm

Playoff hockey is by far the best sporting event to attend from a fan's perspective. It is absolute madness. Rally towels, fights, loud goal horns, constant noise after each and every shot
Pony ^

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:01 pm

Perkins Natatorium mid 1970's for SMU-Texas. Sold out with the Mustang Band in attendance. Head-splitting. And you wonder why it's structurally unsound and condemned today?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby mrydel » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:35 pm

I have said more than once that dual swim meet between #2 Michigan and SMU circa 1970 was the most exciting sporting event I have ever attended.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby DiamondM » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:36 pm

I was at Cameron for the double overtime UNC game where Capel hit the long 3 pointer to tie to send it to double OT in 1995. It's shown on tv every year around the time of each Duke-UNC game. It was nuts. I walked out of that game completely spent physically and mentally, ears ringing.

Nick's winning shot against Cal was close in volume, but not quite. However, I walked out of the building happier this time because the good guys won.

Best/loudest National Anthem, however, was USA v. Italy in Germany in 2006. That was a fantastic atmosphere, and very loud as well, but a different kind of loud.

Also was at the triple OT win by the Stars against San Jose the last time there was playoff hockey in town. I think it clinched the series? I could not believe my 5 month old slept through 1st and 2nd OT. The game went to 1 am, but she woke up for the end of the game. Also loud.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:53 pm

Mavericks early playoff games against Lakers in Reunion Arena...loudest I've ever been in...couldn't hear the person next to you...but as old Baylor coach Jim Haller once said..."Moody is one of the great holler houses" and I've been at several games in Moody when I thought we might blow the roof off the place
Charleston Pony

Postby bluepony » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:00 pm

I realize this is a basketball forum, but the loudest building I've been in is Beaver Stadium by far. The Penn St student section is pretty intense.
Univ. of Michigan
SMU Law
bluepony
Recruit

Postby Digetydog » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:29 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:I've been to a lot of sporting events at many venues in my life. And I know when events are fresh in your mind they seem to be grander but two venues in the last few months stick out as being the loudest, most raucous I can ever remember. Crazy thing is what the events were - SMU basketball and Dallas Stars hockey. Never in my life did I think I would say that and be serious, but it's true.

The year after Houston threw up 95 points, they went into Texas nationally ranked for a big night game. My date and I could easily hear the crowd roar from 6th Street.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Comet » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:23 pm

I was at the game as well, I'm a die-hard Stars fan. Real proud of the dormant fanbase, especially when Robidas went down and the place erupted with Robi! Robi! chants. I also wasn't able to talk today at work, lost my voice.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby OhioBrownFan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:20 pm

bluepony wrote:I realize this is a basketball forum, but the loudest building I've been in is Beaver Stadium by far. The Penn St student section is pretty intense.

Oh gawd yes, that shythole is SO loud. I think it's that three-tiered structure that makes it so loud. That place is absolutely crazy for a night game, I will never go to Penn State again to watch the Bucks. I haven't been to a football stadium half as loud, including LSU.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball