PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU finalist for Tennessee SG

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU finalist for Tennessee SG

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:42 pm

“@Hoopmanx: SMU a finalist for tennessee transfer, Jordan Cornish? hmmm”

“@Hoopmanx: @RealJLord let out of loi after cuonzo left. Smu one of 3 or 4”

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... ish-135357
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: SMU finalist for Tennessee SG

Postby OhioBrownFan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:47 pm

Would be huge and address a need asap.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby StandUp » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:13 pm

hoopmanx - Interesting development. A quality possible transfer at SG. Thank you for the post. Does SMU have any interest in Elijah Brown, Butler SG? Does Elijah Brown have any interest in SMU?

OBF - Just yesterday you were questioning SMU's need for a SG when we were discussing Elijah Brown, Butler SG. Now today you are saying that signing Jordan Cornish, Tennessee SG would address a need asap. Which is it? You are entitled to your opinion. Just asking for a little consistency :)

OBF - Regarding your opinion of putting Ben Moore at the 3. Makes sense to me. I would be happy having either Ben Moore or MK at the 3. Not trying to open up another can of MK cannot play the 3. Just recognizing that our roster is built in such a way that we could definitely play with a bigger, taller player with quickness and vision at the 3. Doesn't have to be a guard. Actually an advantage for SMU. Not many teams could match up with Ben Moore or MK at the 3. Weeks ago you questioned my mere mention of MK at the 3 now you are wanting Ben Moore at the 3. Nothing personal, again, just asking for a little consistency :)
StandUp
Varsity

Postby NY Pony » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:29 pm

Not a transfer. Commit released from his LOI after Martin left Tenn. for Cal.
NY Pony
All-American

Postby StandUp » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:53 pm

You are right, definitely not a transfer. Would be a Freshman at SMU able to play right away. Could be a quality get. My mistake, I misread the news.
StandUp
Varsity

Postby OhioBrownFan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:06 am

StandUp wrote:hoopmanx - Interesting development. A quality possible transfer at SG. Thank you for the post. Does SMU have any interest in Elijah Brown, Butler SG? Does Elijah Brown have any interest in SMU?

OBF - Just yesterday you were questioning SMU's need for a SG when we were discussing Elijah Brown, Butler SG. Now today you are saying that signing Jordan Cornish, Tennessee SG would address a need asap. Which is it? You are entitled to your opinion. Just asking for a little consistency :)

OBF - Regarding your opinion of putting Ben Moore at the 3. Makes sense to me. I would be happy having either Ben Moore or MK at the 3. Not trying to open up another can of MK cannot play the 3. Just recognizing that our roster is built in such a way that we could definitely play with a bigger, taller player with quickness and vision at the 3. Doesn't have to be a guard. Actually an advantage for SMU. Not many teams could match up with Ben Moore or MK at the 3. Weeks ago you questioned my mere mention of MK at the 3 now you are wanting Ben Moore at the 3. Nothing personal, again, just asking for a little consistency :)

You're correct, it's a luxury. I typed that absentmindedly at work. Unlike Brown, this kid has legit interest though, is CLASS OF 2014, and is not a pipe dream. Not even sure why you would even want Brown in the first place, but that's irrelevant. This kid brings a guard in that is eligible immediately (he's a HS senior) and had serious offers if this is the kid I'm thinking it was. Very underrated player that you do take seeing that there is the scholarship available and a lot of guys graduating in the next two years. You bring in transfers to fill holes or depth issues.

As for the 3, Kennedy in no way, shape or form can play the 3. Not that Moore can, but he's light years ahead in the possibility. Neither will be playing it so it's irrelevant as well. Kennedy has 0.0000000% chance of ever starting at the 3, college or pro. Hope that clears it up.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby LHS81 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:49 am

LA_Mustang wrote:“@Hoopmanx: SMU a finalist for tennessee transfer, Jordan Cornish? hmmm”

That link goes to Jordan's Rivals profile. . . Is there a link to what 3 teams Jordan listed?
2015 INDIANAPOLIS OR BUST
LHS81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:30 am

StandUp wrote:hoopmanx - Interesting development. A quality possible transfer at SG. Thank you for the post. Does SMU have any interest in Elijah Brown, Butler SG? Does Elijah Brown have any interest in SMU?

This kid would be able to play immediately while the other kid from Butler would have and to sit out a year. Next year we have a need for an SG but in 2015 we will have plenty.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:32 am

What was Cornish's 3 point percentage in high school? Any highlights of him?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:46 am

Just found an article saying that he is a "pure shooter."

Ht: 6-6 | Wt: 215 per 247.

#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby MFFL02 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:08 am

Ben Moore at the 3? No. He can't shoot, he can't guard 3s and he can't dribble-penetrate.
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:37 am

LHS81 wrote:That link goes to Jordan's Rivals profile. . . Is there a link to what 3 teams Jordan listed?

Yeah, I'm not sure about the other schools. Hoopmanx said there are 3 or 4 in the mix. I thought it could be a couple of the schools that offered before he signed with Tennessee. My guess is the staff is all over this kid. He looks like a scorer.

Just watched a couple of his highlight clips. This kid can shoot! Has a quick release and can take it to the hole. He's exactly what we need. Eman, Tolbert and Cornish would be perfect for a 2014-15 run.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby ojaipony » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:21 am

From what I can tell in the highlight reels is that the kid has some decent size/bulk already (of course, he's playing against high schoolers so . . . ). I like his shot, release could be a little higher. But if LB likes him, I like him.
ojaipony

Postby ojaipony » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:33 am

LHS81 wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:“@Hoopmanx: SMU a finalist for tennessee transfer, Jordan Cornish? hmmm”

That link goes to Jordan's Rivals profile. . . Is there a link to what 3 teams Jordan listed?

I haven't seen one, although you can see the original offer list on any recruiting site.

I'm assuming maybe Houston would be one.
ojaipony

Postby ponyboy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:35 am

Offers from Tennessee, OU, Vandy, Purdue, VCU
ponyboy

Next

Return to Basketball