PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Fan Jam

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Fan Jam

Postby Rambo » Thu Oct 18, 2001 1:02 am

I find it hard to believe that hours after Fan Jam, there are no posts!

First off, hats off to the I-Man, Justin Isham. He showed me, at least, that he can pick up where D-Wayne left off last year, as far crowd pumping and emotion goes. Not to mention the fact that he almost hit his head on the rim every time he dunked, except for one, FROM THE FREE THROW LINE! He also lit it up from downtown. Bryan Miller was quite impressive too.

Was I the only one who saw Nige bring the pain on that one dunk rebound. He has definitely bulked up.

In case you are wondering, Neimi is out 3-5 days with a concussion, no word on Voc or Jibran.

Not as many people were there as I would have liked, but it wasn't too bad. I personally was bombarded by information on Fan Jam, ads in the Daily Campus and DMN, flyers up all over campus, and flyers handed out by students in the student center.

How 'bout the smoke!?! I was impressed, nice touch guys.

What do you have to say?

PS- MrMustang1965, please, something positive.
PPS-Bryan Hopkins was in the house too! Bring on Aliou!
------------------
Viva Ponyball!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Rambo (edited 10-17-2001).]
Viva Ponyball!!!!!
Rambo
Junior Varsity

Re: Fan Jam

Postby SMURecruiting » Thu Oct 18, 2001 1:26 am

No one knew a lot about it...Everyone was out until Tuesday. The signs were good, but let it grow, maybe in a few years it will be bigger.
SMURecruiting
Scout Team

Postby Rambo » Thu Oct 18, 2001 11:47 am

How could you not know!?!

There were flyers up around campus all last week, ads in the Daily Campus, and an email sent out. What more do you want. Besides, you couldn't be on campus yesterday and not find out about it. The campus was flooded with Fan Jam.

That is a poor excuse for not coming to something. Look around when you walk around campus, you can't miss what's going on. Wake up.
Viva Ponyball!!!!!
Rambo
Junior Varsity

Postby smudad » Thu Oct 18, 2001 2:45 pm

What happened to Billy Pharis since Saturday? And Niemi is a class guy. Hope he has a great year!
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby smudad » Thu Oct 18, 2001 2:46 pm

What happened to Billy Pharis since Saturday? And Niemi is a class guy. Hope he has a great year!
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby SMURecruiting » Thu Oct 18, 2001 3:54 pm

Hey Rambo, go to one of the residence halls and ask a student whether they were going to the fan jam or go to the frats and ask the same question. I did and maybe one or two said they heard about it and neither went. The only reason I knew about it was because of the the three smu websites. If their were flyers, i didnt see them. I saw two posters buts that it...Wake up man.
SMURecruiting
Scout Team

Postby Cupcaking » Thu Oct 18, 2001 6:35 pm

I have to agree with Rambo on this one. There were signs everywhere on campus and a lot of people that I know knew about it (not that they all came). I don't know if you didn't see or hear anything because the group you socialize in didn't pay attention or whatever. But at least 5 people mentioned it yesterday to me.

Anyway, I enjoyed the fan jam. I thought the freshman guys looked great and not to mention they all seem to be really nice guys. I can't wait for the season to start.
Cupcaking
Scout Team

Postby SMURecruiting » Thu Oct 18, 2001 8:06 pm

I guess I live in an isolated part of SMU then because no one was talking about it and no one knew about it and if they did, they werent real sure what exactly it was. I hope that changes though because it be a good recruiting tool.
SMURecruiting
Scout Team

Postby Cupcaking » Thu Oct 18, 2001 11:56 pm

well, all you and the other people that didn't know about it had to do was look at one of the numerous stake signs posted up while walking to class (there was an ad in the DC also). those little signs along the sidewalks have a purpose sometimes. the information was out there, so in a sense the the marketing dept did try to help promote this event somewhat.
Cupcaking
Scout Team

Postby SMURecruiting » Fri Oct 19, 2001 12:52 am

I agree they tried, but obviously their method didnt work and thats what i am saying here. I dont doubt their effort, but maybe they should approach it differently. How they approach it is beyond me, seeing that our student body is stubborn when it comes to supporting sports. But anyways, people diddnt know, its a fact. Either people skipped the ad or they didnt see the posters. Yet the fact remains, many were clueless about it. I guarentee if you polled the student body about why they didnt go to the fan jam, their response would be, "fan jam?"
SMURecruiting
Scout Team

Postby DreadHead » Fri Oct 19, 2001 1:07 pm

Yah mon, Fan Jam was a great event that a lot of people missed out on. Probably having it the day after fall break wasn't the best idea, but hey, give them credit for trying something.
DreadHead
Scout Team

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 19, 2001 3:53 pm

WHat kind of crowd was there?

Postby Rambo » Mon Oct 22, 2001 12:23 pm

Come on SMURecruiting, What else do you want them to do? There were 2 ads in the DC (1 a week before FJ, 1 the day of), 1 ad in the DMN, tons of stake signs all over campus, flyers up all over campus, an email sent campus wide, and people outside the student center all day on wednesday stuffing flyers in everyone's face. I walked by a few times, and each time another flyer about Fan Jam was forced into my hands. Aside from calling you personally, what else do you want them to do? Maybe you should open your eyes when you go to class, or even leave your dorm room once in a while.

------------------
Viva Ponyball!!!!!
Viva Ponyball!!!!!
Rambo
Junior Varsity

Postby SMURecruiting » Mon Oct 22, 2001 2:41 pm

You keep saying that the signs were there, the ads were there, etc... I AM NOT DENYING THAT. In fact, as I stated earlier, I APPLAUD their efforts. But perhaps they are going about it the wrong way. Since they had 2 ads in the DC, posters everywhere...why didnt anyone come?? If we are going to have the ongoing debate, attack my point and not what I am agreeing with you about. They should not have had it on the night after people got back from home. It is a fact that people forgot things over School breaks. Maybe one day after break was enough for some of the regulars on this board or season ticket holders, but not for the average SMU student who normally doesnt go to the Saturday afternoon Football game.
SMURecruiting
Scout Team

Postby DreadHead » Mon Oct 22, 2001 3:02 pm

Well, I think we can all surmise that Fan Jam was a great event, but is something that will hopefully build into something that people will anticipate. If for no other reason than to watch Isham win the dunk contest for the next four years, mon. That boy can fly!
DreadHead
Scout Team

Next

Return to Basketball