PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Barefield and McQuaid give SMU #6 ranked 2015 class so far

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Barefield and McQuaid give SMU #6 ranked 2015 class so f

Postby ponyboy » Tue May 06, 2014 11:19 pm

All I can say is that Nic Moore is one of the best basketball players I've ever had the honor of seeing play. Absolute heart of a lion with an iron will.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby clayboy37 » Wed May 07, 2014 12:11 am

SFtoHilltop wrote:
ojaipony wrote:
MFFL02 wrote:Why are people seriously discussing if Markus Kennedy and/or Nic Moore will leave early for the NBA? Not only do they not pass the eye test, but not a single pundit has speculated on this occurring. Please stop, this is getting awkward.

Whose eye test? Yours?

It is my opinion that they both will end up eventually in the NBA. And, probably after next season. MK for sure injuries/personal issues excepting.

There is not a chance in hell Nic makes it in the NBA. He is listed at 5'9" but there isn't a chance he is a centimeter over 5'7". His closest comparison is Nate Robinson and he can't shoot or jump like Robinson can. I have ehard around campus that Markus is gone after this year. Whether that is the NBA or transferring I don't know, but I think it is safe to say he won't be here. And yes Markus does have an NBA future if he can polish up and keep his weight down.

Why would MK transfer again? That makes no sense.
clayboy37
Recruit

Postby SFtoHilltop » Wed May 07, 2014 1:32 am

Just repeating what I heard. If he transferred again (which he could do without penalty because he will be graduated) it would be because he has been recruited over. I don't see that happening just throwing out a possibility. I think it is more than likely he will try to go pro
SFtoHilltop
Recruit

Postby OhioBrownFan » Wed May 07, 2014 2:56 am

The only way Nic Moore is leaving early is via transfer or Europe. Otherwise no prayer. As for MK, he has a shot to play in the NBA someday, he's more likely, much more likely, to play overseas as well. Kennedy would be the one that could sign a contract next year professionally but unlikely that he would be drafted unless he improves by quite a bit. His athleticism is so-so, he didn't average gaudy numbers, he's old, and he's undersized for a PF in the NBA. His PPG and RPG would have to go up by about 5 each to get drafted anywhere near the beginning of the 2nd round. 12 PPG and 7 RPG as a 23 year old in college is not impressive nor will it have any scouts drooling.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby RGV Pony » Wed May 07, 2014 7:59 am

Markus Kennedy reminds me of Kenny Thomas from New Mexico. Similar frame similar game.
RGV Pony

Postby StandUp » Wed May 07, 2014 8:28 am

Anyone thinking that MK or Nic Moore are leaving early are living in a different world (for the NBA or Europe). Rarely if ever do college kids leave early for Europe. There is a big difference between good college players and solid NBA potential. Both are 4 year players at SMU (yes both are transfers. you get my point). Being part of Pony Nation I am a fan of both, but let's be honest here, we do not have many guys on our roster who really have NBA potential. MK is a tweener (SF size with a PF game with vision). As great as Nic Moore is at SMU he would have trouble transitioning his game to the NBA. I do like MK's vision and passing ability, will be fun to see how his game develops next season. Taller point guards would just post him up down low and make him a non-factor. Not many 5'9" players in NBA history. Nate Robinson, Mugsy Bogues. Could happen, but I doubt it. Probably both headed to Europe after their Senior Year at SMU.

The 2 guys on our roster who have NBA potential are Sterling Brown and possibly Ben Moore. Both are fundamentally sound, great work ethics, good on defense, both need to continue to develop their overall games, but both have a motor that never stops. Keith has the potential, but he needs to continue to work on his game. Keith needs to become more of a threat off the dribble and needs to improve his defense. Take the ball to the basket Keith!

If anyone disagrees with my take. watch next season when Emmanuel Mudiay takes SMU to another level. Mudiay is a true NBA prospect with true NBA potential. Mudiay will be a Mustang more than capable of producing in the NBA. Again, there will be a big difference between Mudiay, Nic Moore, and MK regarding NBA potential. Next year should be fun!
StandUp
Varsity

Postby mavsrage311 » Wed May 07, 2014 10:58 am

MK is not getting recruited over. Also, I don't think he's undersized to play the 4 in the NBA. Although some here don't think so, I think his jump shot will hold him back more than anything. He reminds me physically of one of the morris twins. Obviously without the range.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby OhioBrownFan » Wed May 07, 2014 3:29 pm

mavsrage311 wrote:MK is not getting recruited over. Also, I don't think he's undersized to play the 4 in the NBA. Although some here don't think so, I think his jump shot will hold him back more than anything. He reminds me physically of one of the morris twins. Obviously without the range.

It's not simply lack of size, there are a lot of players in the NBA that are undersized for their position from the ideal, it's the combination of all of the above.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby SMU 86 » Wed May 07, 2014 4:25 pm

6'9" is not undersized for an NBA power forward.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby ojaipony » Wed May 07, 2014 4:59 pm

I don't know what some of you are thinking, but MK is one of (and will be probably top 10 actually) skilled big men in all of college bball next year. Go back and watch some tape. Maybe he ultimately doesn't cut it in the NBA, but he will get a shot and he's not going to wait around yet another year after next year (I sure as hell wouldn't) . . .
ojaipony

Postby OhioBrownFan » Wed May 07, 2014 7:08 pm

I can literally name 20 PFs off the top of my head in college basketball better than MK right now.

But on a serious note. Yes, Kennedy will be drafted, he's ideal size and I have no idea why he's not coming out this year. If I was 22 and that good, I sure as hell wouldn't be staying around for another year instead of making a million next year. Kennedy is an idiot. I guess on the flip side, he should be getting drafted when he's starting to enter his prime at 24, so there's that. I'm shocked Brown didn't push for him to go.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby StandUp » Wed May 07, 2014 8:41 pm

It is great and everything that we support our SMU players and our SMU team, but let's be honest here...

The reason MK and Nic Moore are not coming out early is because they probably would not be drafted. They may definitely be the two best players at SMU, but that does not mean that they are the best players in our conference, let alone two of the top players in the nation. Being ready for the NBA is an entirely different level of player, see Emmanuel Mudiay. Don't know why this is even being discussed. Both are talented college players with a lot to prove. No doubt that both will be even better next season. Again, a "good" college basketball player does not equal an NBA ready talent.
StandUp
Varsity

Postby thebrownnote » Thu May 08, 2014 3:49 am

Yo ojaipony. I can't tell if you are that stupid or you are just trolling the [deleted] out of us. I would respect you a lot if you are indeed just trolling us and laughing in our faces while typing your thoughts. If you are serious then I guess this just got a little awkward.

Much love.
thebrownnote

Postby TDMustang » Thu May 08, 2014 8:21 am

thebrownnote wrote:Yo ojaipony. I can't tell if you are that stupid or you are just trolling the [deleted] out of us. I would respect you a lot if you are indeed just trolling us and laughing in our faces while typing your thoughts. If you are serious then I guess this just got a little awkward.

Much love.

^^^

I thought he might be serious until he mentioned how he thought Markus could be a lottery pick. Now I'm leaning towards the trolling angle.
TDMustang
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:07 am

The different in skill, size, and dominance between MK and JOB3 from LSU was substantial. If Markus turns into JOB3 this year, then I could see him coming out.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting