PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Fight back against the DMN

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Fight back against the DMN

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Thu Nov 15, 2001 1:14 am

Hey, I completely agree. In fact, as I was signing on this evening, I was thinking about starting this very topic by asking the question, "Would someone please start another local newspaper so I can cancel my subscription to the DMN?"
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby HorsePower » Thu Nov 15, 2001 3:12 pm

Good idea, Peruna. I cancelled mine this morning and when they asked why, I told them because their coverage of SMU sports is awful, and that I hope they relayed that information to Dave Smith, their sports "editor."
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby PK » Thu Nov 15, 2001 3:36 pm

Just curious, how does the FW Startlegram's coverage of TCU compare with the DMN coverage of SMU? What about coverage of UH and Rice in the Houston paper? What we are getting out of the DMN may not be the best ever, but in fairness, I think it has improved the last two years over what it was when Jodi (or whatever her name was) was covering SMU. Rana Cash did OK and I think Rick Alonzo is doing a nice job. I'm sure the editorial staff restricts the amount of coverage, but the coverage itself (the stories that is) is pretty good, comparatively speaking.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby GrapevineMustang » Thu Nov 15, 2001 5:20 pm

I agree that it is a little better than in years past, but the lack of stories was not Jodie Valade's fault, nor Rana Cash's fault, and it's not Rick Alonzo's fault he doesn't have more stories than he does. The fact is that each of them has written FAR more stories than we see in print, and that the geniuses at the top deem them less important than a photo essay on Cedric Benson's ability to carry a TV into his dorm room or an exposé on T.J. Ford's ability to do what every point guard is supposed to do - pass the ball.
Jodie and Rana and Rick all have done nice jobs covering SMU. It's the editors above them who have screwed them -- and subsequently screwed us -- by not running the stories.
Count me among the ranks of those cancelling my DMN subscription.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby smu'06 » Fri Nov 16, 2001 7:38 pm

And soon the DMN will write an article:
"When a house is not a home."

This is sounding like the Frats regarding the DC. The DMN doesn't cover SMU as much as it should, but SMU needs to deliver a product to be covered. How was the coverage of the Pony Xpress? How about when we won SWC Championships?

Now everytime a paper does not do what we want it to, we can't go and boycott it.

What % of readership amd advertising in the DMN comes from SMU/ SMU alums/family?
University of South Carolina Student and Fan
SMU Fan and possible Law Student
smu'06
Junior Varsity

Postby Corso » Sat Nov 17, 2001 8:29 pm

Not so fast my friend!

Coverage of the Pony Express wasn't that magnificent, either. Any team that had the greatest player in America (Eric Dickerson) and a host of other all-America caliber players should have gotten much more pub than we did during those days. The DMN has never covered SMU well, and never will. (Once again, at the basketball game last night, they read one of those tired promos about the DMN "keeing you in touch with SMU" or whatever the hell it says. You could hear laughter in Moody.) The DMN really wants to be the Texas Morning News, which it is -- except in its name. They cover nothing in Dallas well, sports or regular news. I feel for Rick Alonzo.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Return to Basketball