PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tech SMU game

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Tech SMU game

Postby SMUPonyFan » Wed Nov 21, 2001 2:21 am

1)Dement is yet to win a big game since he has been here
2)Moody was awesome. Why can't it be like that every game
3)free throws killed us once again
4)we were out-coached (imagine that) Tech ran offenses and passed the ball. They played a disciplined game. We played one on one games.
5)we need a big man. Simpson is going to be great but he does not have the size to play the 5 spot. We could have used Alou Kane tonight

This is disappointing because a win tonight would have boosted attendance for a good portion of the season, given us big time publicity, given us confidence in a big game situation, and maybe we would have lost our title of not being able to win a big game. We always compete in these games and we did tonight, but it is time to WIN. I just hope we pick it up for Iowa and Tennessee.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Re: Tech SMU game

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Nov 21, 2001 2:28 am

Correct, Dement hasn't won the big game...I will give you that and it's very frustrating but tonight we got out-rebounded..is that the coach's fault? We didn't get outcoached and had a trap D that Tech had no idea what to do with...we came crawling back and almost pulled it out. FT and rebounding.

I think it was a good test and we played a good 1st half. I think the frosh learned a lot and we'll be ok. Smith is playing better, Miller will shoot ok, and Simpson can play. Hancock is a little bit of a ball hog but he'll be ok..just a carryover from the Sasser ways of last year (one on one) stuff. Hopefully, he'll give up the rock once he trusts his teammates a little more. He does need to score though and I commend him for it b/c they were in the bonus situation and they fouled him every time. We'll get better and better. I don't think we'll fold this year like the previous years. Baylor will be a big test for sure.

GO MUSTANGS!
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUPonyFan » Wed Nov 21, 2001 2:41 am

We got out rebounded in the first half. The second half I think we turned around on the boards, in fact we may have out rebounded them. And when you see people not going for boards, not boxing out, and watching the ball instead of going after it, it is the coaches fault. These are 20 year olds and it is the coaches responsibility to make sure they know what to do and execute. Now if they fought for every board in the first half like they did in the second, and the ball bounced to TT, then that is not the coaches fault.

------------------
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Nov 21, 2001 2:45 am

Well, I can guarantee he said "box out and rebound" to the kids.
Pony_Fan

Postby SMUPonyFan » Wed Nov 21, 2001 2:47 am

Just to throw some stats at you, TT had 2 more boards than us in the entire game. The faults that lay on the players shoulders are the 6 missed free throws. 14-20 is not a bad percentage (70%) but that would have had a major effect on the game. Even if we made two more things would have been different. I don't know how much time is spent on free throw shooting in practice, but SMU has a terrible history of missing crucial free throws. I will mention two games, OU last year, and Tulsa the year before in OT.

------------------
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Nov 21, 2001 2:58 am

AGREED! FT kill us always and Neimi sucks. Especially the BIG games! -TULSA 2 yrs ago, OK, TCU, etc, etc..
Pony_Fan

Postby Vitale » Wed Nov 21, 2001 2:59 am

SMUPonyFan, you're crazy with a capital C!

Alou Kane would not have helped us tonight. He doesn't work hard enough on the defensive end. He was so much taller than everyone else that he was able to block and alter shots by standing still, and rarely moved his feet to get defensive position. Andy Ellis would have killed him. He's a better long-term prospect than Ellis, but he would have done little tonight. We were better off with Jibran, Niemi and Nigel in there

The rest of your points are right on, though
Vitale
All-American

Postby 91Stang » Wed Nov 21, 2001 3:14 am

Just saw the box score. Hancock and Ross went a combined 3 for 11 from the free throw line? We need more than that from our team leaders.
HOCKEY'S BACK!
91Stang
Varsity

Postby PonyFan » Wed Nov 21, 2001 3:16 am

Did you see we were on the ESPN.com poll today for what game should be the SportsCenter Spotlight? When was the last time that happened?
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby PonyGirl » Wed Nov 21, 2001 3:22 am

Can't think of a big game off the top of my head that Dement's won for us, but he sure wasn't outcoached or intimidated by the General tonight, either.
PonyGirl
Varsity

Postby KP » Wed Nov 21, 2001 10:42 am

What box score had Damon and Q at 3 for 11? 9-11 isn't bad free throw shooting in my book.
KP

Postby 91Stang » Wed Nov 21, 2001 12:25 pm

My mistake - I was looking at 3-pt shooting
HOCKEY'S BACK!
91Stang
Varsity

Postby Rambo » Mon Nov 26, 2001 3:37 pm

First off, how did Aliou Kane get brought into this. He is still in high school. If you are going to bring up the impossible then you are hopeless. It is NOT Dement's fault for them not rebounding. The players just have to go after the ball. We also got beat on alot of transition in both games so far. We just need more time to gel as a team. I think we play Tech in mid December, we beat them.
Viva Ponyball!!!!!
Rambo
Junior Varsity

Return to Basketball