PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Early season assessment

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Early season assessment

Postby DiamondM » Wed Nov 28, 2001 2:37 pm

Note: This was originally written for the other board in reaction to ridiculous doomsaying.

It's typical of SMU fans (and Dallas fans in general) to overreact and jump ship after two hard fought, entertaining, gutty and gut-renching losses. But here's the deal:

1. While Tech and Baylor are middle of the pack in the Big XII they played outstanding games against us. Tech played virtually mistake free ball, and Baylor seemed to hit every three they took (except Elsey thankfully) -- yes, even many fairly well-defended and contested ones.

2. I was impressed by the way that our Mustangs did not give up in the face of double digit deficits late in both games. They could have easily folded, but showed cajones clawing back.

3. Should they even have been down in the first place? Maybe not. But see point #1. Yes, our free throw percentage is horrible. But those calling for Dement's head and screaming at him to drill free throws in practice are barking up the wrong tree. You think you're telling Dement anything he isn't already aware of? You actually think he doesn't practice free throws? If you answered yes to either of these questions, you are an idiot. Free throws are 99% mental. And our guys are fighting themselves at the line every trip. There's not much Dement can do, except maybe bring in a sports psychologist. I'd like to point out however that free throw shooting was 70% against Tech and greatly improved to 11-15 in the second half at Baylor, and the guys were hitting down the stretch. Even Niemi hit his 2 -- a small miracle.

4. As others have mentioned, Castro is giving us a presence inside. We are always going to be a guard-oriented team, but with some production inside, it will give our guards more open looks and room to work. And, let me remind you, Castro is only a freshman, are 3 others who were often on the floor at the same time as Castro. This is a young team, and they will need time to develop into players that will win those tough down to the wire games.

5. One thing we are really lacking from a personnel standpoint is a true shooter, like Elsey used to be. I know Brian Miller is supposed to be our guy, and I hope he can develop that consistent shooter's touch (but he has badly badly missed many of his shots so far this season). Is still think we need to recruit a shooter, as opposed to the 'athletes' that seem to be are targets these days. This will also help the free throw issue late in games, when we can put someone solid at the line.

6. Absence of Voc really hurts us. It disables Dement from sitting Damon when he repeatedly dribbles, drives, draws a triple team, but instead of kicking the ball out to one of his open guys, forces a bad shot himself. I like a lot of what Damon does, and he does put up the numbers, but his decision making is not always good as a point guard. We need someone oriented to the assist as well as the shot.

I believe in this team, and I think by the end of the year, they will be winning the nail biters. They have shown good development already in 4 games so far. There is certainly room for improvement, but that is no reason to start calling for a coaching change or abandoning this exciting, promising young team.
DiamondM
Heisman

Re: Early season assessment

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Nov 28, 2001 3:13 pm

Thanks for a well thought post! That other board is ridiculous! They are getting crazy and stupid.

Beat LaSalle! maybe? Image
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Boston Pony » Wed Nov 28, 2001 4:02 pm

What looks go so far is that we have relatively high percentage of shots made, which has been a problem in the past. LaSalle and Iowa will be very stiff competition coming up. It will be good to see the young guys go against these tougher schools. You are right about the other board. I'm sorry to say that those posters actually have interest in the programs.
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby Eddie P » Wed Nov 28, 2001 4:49 pm

Diamond M-

I would like to invite you to make a switch and join this board more often. I know for a fact that the other board does have some enthusiastic and even some relevant people who post. However, I used to go there frequently but now it's just so unrealistically negative most of the time. And your posts are often so well thought out. Just a suggestion, even though we did have that Dave Kehler disagreement awhile back.

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Nov 28, 2001 4:57 pm

Much less discussion here unfortunately. I do like the ex-players who discuss players/coaches and challenges. Gives you a good insight. I am a huge fan, just don't know the in's and out's of coaching - ie how good Dement is. I am so happy to have a competetive team at least and they are fun to watch at Moody.

GO PONIES!
Pony_Fan

Postby PK » Wed Nov 28, 2001 6:23 pm

Pony_Fan, probably the reason there is not as much discussion here is that a lot of the posters are students who have to go to classes and the rest of us work for a living. Not sure what those guys on MM do for a living as they seem to spend all of their time on the message board. What happened to KP? Thought he/she was going to spend more time posting over here. Anyway, glad you are doing some posting here....now if we could just drag a few more over from the other board it might become interesting. Probably most of the posters on MM are afraid to have to register to use this board. Considering the content of many of their post I can understand their reluctance.

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 11-28-2001).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Eddie P » Wed Nov 28, 2001 6:40 pm

PK-

Now, sir. Was that yet another prod at our recently named SMU coach, 1st round NFL draftee, media magnet, jedi padawan learner, Rogers? You know, if you keep this up I have a rubber hose...

What scares me about the other board:

1) Most of the posters are NOT students...and they have the time and wherewithal to post every five minutes during heated arguments with other fifty year olds.

2) "Often" none of the parties involved have the second clue what the hell they are talking about.

I'll stop, I only meant to compliment Diamond M with my earlier post on her spirit and dedication while also attempting to drag her over here for more lively discussion, since I agree we have less of that here at times. (Unless it's about you, me and Rogers)

Postby PK » Wed Nov 28, 2001 6:49 pm

Easy on the "fifty year olds" comments...son or I'll have to get out my willow switch (rubber hoses are soooo plebeian).

SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby DiamondM » Wed Nov 28, 2001 7:00 pm

I check out the stuff over here quite a bit, but do not post here very often. I like a lively discussion and debate. If only I could find a happy medium. But I will post future substantive thoughts to both boards. I find that the responses and reactions here are generally more level headed, but fewer and farther between.

I have to say that I am starting to prefer the coverage on this board however. I certainly prefer the format. However, I am miffed that I did not get a pictorial retrospective of my own coronation as Superfan the week before the immortalized Rogers.

Signed,
Superfan Emeritus DiamondM
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby PK » Wed Nov 28, 2001 7:33 pm

Evidently you have to know people in High(?) places to get your very own pictorial. Take solace in the fact you were picked first!!!

BTW, I miss the heated debates and sarcasm of the MM board, but I'm working at it over here. Not trying to start riots or anything like that, just taking a little of the sugar coating off the content. With the exception of the recent RogersHealey All Week Long Tribute, this site reminds me of a Library Guild meeting sans tea and crumpets. The other site (MM) reminds me of a rowdy bar just one or two comments away from being an out and out brawl. Oh well, I'm just hungry for an opportunity for sharing my SMU enthusiasm and I'm glad I at least can come here. The game reports are excellent, the polls are well thought out and the few people that do post are good loyal fans.

PK

Postby Eddie P » Wed Nov 28, 2001 8:24 pm

PK-

I am so not plebeian...ask the director of the Mustang Maniacs, the famous Alan Garcia.
He'll have some interesting stories, I'm sure.

I think that would be a good compromise, Diamond M. But don't feel bad about not being immortalized like Rogers. Rogers lacks self esteem and confidence...and he's really meek and shy, so i think that's why the owners of this board decided to bless him with a little confidence booster. Kinda like a "touched by an angel" type occurence.

[This message has been edited by Eddie P (edited 11-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Eddie P (edited 11-28-2001).]

Postby KP » Thu Nov 29, 2001 6:13 pm

Alright, I am back. Sorry to be away for so long, but with the holiday and all, then I was out of town for a hunting trip so I am just returning to my usual daily routine. I plan to be back in full force whenever I can (when not working), so maybe we can get this board going a little more.

That said, who is planning on heading to Denton to see the ponies take on NTSU?
KP

Postby PK » Thu Nov 29, 2001 6:44 pm

Nice of you to join us again KP. As you can see this has been a day of wild posting.....I think your's makes number five (and that includes all four possible message boards). Whew, it hard to keep up with it all.
PK

Postby Eddie P » Thu Nov 29, 2001 7:20 pm

Good to see you back KP. I believe I know who you are, but only because your e-mail kinda gives it away.

Any thoughts on your former house and whats happening to it recently? Are you still involved?

Postby KP » Fri Nov 30, 2001 4:00 am

Well yes I am still involved, and it is a big clusterf*&k right now. Email me and I will talk about it more, everyone here probably doesn't want to read about all the sordid details.
KP

Return to Basketball