PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

what's the deal here?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

what's the deal here?

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Dec 13, 2001 12:40 pm

Last year this was much more active. People don't care or what? I'm about to give up looking here.

Oral Roberts -they almost beat Tulsa. They any good. Hopefully we can do a little better than that Tenn showing.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: what's the deal here?

Postby DiamondM » Thu Dec 13, 2001 1:10 pm

I think the tables are turned from last year, where everyone was down on the football team and had high hopes for basketball. This year the excitement is with the new hiring of Bennett, and a realization that we shouldn't get hopes up about basketball.

I think it's a vicious cycle over on this part of the message board, because I seldom start a thread but will post getting a discussion going. If a lot of people do the same thing, then although we are all checking, we see nothing going on here.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby PK » Thu Dec 13, 2001 1:52 pm

Judging from the number of people who have voted in the latest poll vs. the number of regular posters on these boards, I would say that only about 10-12 percent of the visitors actually post. Don't know if it is because of the requirement to register or what. A lot of the posters are students and they are just now finishing up with finals and going home for the holidays. This may also explain the lack of activity, but this site has never had the passion(?) of the other site....too bad.

DiamondM has a good point about the current excitement over a new f-ball coach and the fact that everyone thinks this year's b-ball team is pretty young and still developing. I predict that b-ball posts will pick up after the end of the year as we get more into our conference schedule.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby ponystudent » Thu Dec 13, 2001 1:56 pm

I personally think people are tired of us losing every decent, non-conference game we have. When is the last time we beat a top twenty-five team?

Last year some said that the team would be better this year with the loss of Sasser and Davis. Perhaps a more disciplined team? Well, looks like we are wrong. We still don't run a goshdarn offense. We lost two VERY talented players, but this is no reason to have the record we currently have. We have tons of talent on this team, we just don't have any leadership from coaches or players.

Speaking for myself, I am getting pissed off with the lack of success in basketball. If you want to say having 20 wins a season with no WAC championship or post season birth is success, then fine, I am happy for you. As for ponystudent, these are my frustrations. I will still attend basketball games and support the Mustangs, but I am becoming less and less of a fan and that is it only gets worse with the rest of the student body.

------------------
Go Ponies!
Go Ponies!
ponystudent
Junior Varsity

Postby ponystudent » Thu Dec 13, 2001 1:58 pm

"This may also explain the lack of activity, but this site has never had the passion(?) of the other site....too bad."

what does that mean PK?
Go Ponies!
ponystudent
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Thu Dec 13, 2001 2:44 pm

The other site often gets blasted for it's negativity, but the people who post there are, if nothing else, passionate about their opinions. There is a lot of posting activity and a lot of back and forth between the posters, including sarcasm, cursing and occasional name calling. DiamondM was right though when she said she wishes there was a site that offered a compromise between the "active but negative" site and this (PonyFans) usually positive, but rarely "very active" (or passionate) site.

My apologies to DiamondM for adding my own interpretation/paraphrasing to her earlier post.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby SMUFan » Thu Dec 13, 2001 6:25 pm

People have just been absorbed with the Bennett hiring. We're still here, and this is the only board to visit for SMU stuff. The other board is full of trash talk, anonymous player/coach blasting, and random thoughts about things at other schools. Who cares? There is no good reason to ever visit that other board. There's nothing of value on it. Ever.
SMUFan
All-American

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Dec 13, 2001 8:34 pm

DiamondM - I see your point (with Bennett) although to me basketball RULES over fball except for the tailgating portion Image It would seem to me to be much easier to get a Top 25 Bball program than a Top 25 fball. # of players for one thing but I guess the recruiting is pretty tough in hoops.
Pony_Fan

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Dec 13, 2001 9:01 pm

DiamondM - I see your point (with Bennett) although to me basketball RULES over fball except for the tailgating portion Image It would seem to me to be much easier to get a Top 25 Bball program than a Top 25 fball. # of players for one thing but I guess the recruiting is pretty tough in hoops.
Pony_Fan

Postby BillBored » Fri Dec 14, 2001 2:50 pm

As for the second question of the original post, ORU has been pretty decent the past couple years. They usually come in second in their conference to Valpo. As for putting up a good show against Tulsa, it's an in-town rivalry against a bigger name squad so they tend to get unusually psyched up for that. Anyway, here's hoping the Mustangs strike them down tonight, much like God almost did to Oral back in the 80s.
Harvard: The SMU of the North
BillBored
Recruit

Return to Basketball