PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mudiay just did SMU a favor

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Mudiay just did SMU a favor

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:00 pm

I love eman, you have to recruit him if he's in your backyard. I like the idea of 20-140 kids, transfers, and 5th years. There's just too much glare w one and domes.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:02 pm

The risk was always worth the reward. He's a Dallas kid that, had things worked out, could've propelled us into another stratosphere as a program. You can't fault SMU for taking a shot at a potentially program altering recruit in our own backyard. The good news is that Larry and the staff haven't put all their eggs in the Mudiay basket. We are in position to be a very good team for several years to come.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dutch » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:08 pm

i'm just trying to find something positive to come out of this. we DID land him. We DID get him admitted to school. We DID show the rest of the country that we're not messing around and will go after anyone. those are things we haven't done in the past. our trajectory is still upward.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ojaipony » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:10 pm

Stallion wrote:College athletics would be better off in general just letting these guys go pro whenever they want. Tough break but we are building a program that has a longer fuse than Mudiay's only year. Tired of the sleaze factor. You'll see much much more of this starting in 2016 with freshman redshirt rule going into effect

I agree! Either go all in (schools become farm clubs) or not (TRUE amateurism). It's the sleazy/[deleted] gray area that drives me nuts (the NCAA with all their rules/regulations and the "student-athlete" sham vs all the money in TV contracts, sneaker deals, etc etc).
ojaipony

Postby EconPony'10 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:19 pm

Dutch wrote:i'm just trying to find something positive to come out of this. we DID land him. We DID get him admitted to school. We DID show the rest of the country that we're not messing around and will go after anyone. those are things we haven't done in the past. our trajectory is still upward.

As much as this REALLY sucks, my hunch is that Mudiay was being investigated and trolled hard by the NCAA or someone else. He/Coach Brown knew that if decided to stay at SMU it would've not only ended terrible for Eman but also putting another huge dark cloud on SMU. Again, just my hunch but another positive is that we don't get nailed with any violations.
EconPony'10
Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:32 pm

Would've been nice if EM could have stayed clean for one more year, learned under LB and played for us in 14-15, then cashed checks from agents after the season like every other blue chip one-and-done guy does
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby couch 'em » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:32 pm

I'd rather get a national championship revoked than limp into this year with 1 point guard
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby B1GPonyFan » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:40 pm

couch 'em wrote:I'd rather get a national championship revoked than limp into this year with 1 point guard

No you wouldn't. I loved Minnesota's run to the 1997 Final Four and Big 10 championship. Then when the academic scandal hit and the program was eventually stripped of both, it sent that program into a tailspin that has taken nearly two full decades to overcome.

Having Nic Moore and company is a better alternative.
B1GPonyFan
Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:49 pm

couch 'em wrote:I'd rather get a national championship revoked than limp into this year with 1 point guard

This.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby MFFL02 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:16 pm

Johnny Football barely got penalized. We are all assuming things and don't know how long of a penalty Eman would have received while at SMU, if anything at all.
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby gostangs » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:02 pm

we would all have been giving everyone grief if we had decided to not even recruit Eman - of course you go for it and hope for the best. Sounds like Underarmour got out of bounds and screwed it up for us and for Mudiay. Would love to hear the real story on this in a few days.
gostangs

Postby True Colors » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:07 pm

Stallion wrote:College athletics would be better off in general just letting these guys go pro whenever they want.

IMO, the absolute best model is the one used by baseball.

Every single player is permitted to go professional straight out of high school.

For everyone who chooses to go to college first, they are required to wait at least a few years before they are allowed to go back into the draft.

Best system all around.

TC
True Colors
Scout Team

Postby ojaipony » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:12 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Would've been nice if EM could have stayed clean for one more year, learned under LB and played for us in 14-15, then cashed checks from agents after the season like every other blue chip one-and-done guy does

This!

Just for once, I want the stars to align for my alma mater with no funny business. Will it happen in my lifetime?
ojaipony

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:13 pm

No.
RGV Pony

Postby leopold » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:45 pm

Well, we've already got one quasi-national championship that was earned the wrong way. How did that serve us in the long run?

As far as basketball and this possible infraction are concerned, Memphis is still bitter about their run to the Finals being ruled ineligible by the NCAA because of the eligibility issues surrounding Derrick Rose, I believe it was. Go on their boards and see how they feel about it.

It's totally hypothetical - it's possible that Mudiay truly was clean - but if he isn't completely clean, B1G has a point.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball