PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mudiay just did SMU a favor

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Mudiay just did SMU a favor

Postby B1GPonyFan » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:32 pm

From ESPN's Jeff Goodman in his story

However, the source said that the athletic 6-foot-5 point guard, who was considered a one-and-done possibility and was ranked No. 5 in the nation by ESPN, is concerned about amateurism issues and not academics or financial stability. The school has accepted Mudiay academically.

"The NCAA is on him," the source said. "And he's worried."

It's a big blow. But there is enough time for SMU to address the season, rotation, etc before the season ever starts. Better to know now than in October.

Nic Moore is likely the only true ballhandler on this squad. But if Mudiay got here and the NCAA investigation was still present, then you have a cloud not only following him but SMU as a whole. It could have potentially been a huge distraction.

Time to move on.
Last edited by B1GPonyFan on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B1GPonyFan
Varsity

Re: Mudiay just did SMU a favor

Postby Stallion » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:34 pm

College athletics would be better off in general just letting these guys go pro whenever they want. Tough break but we are building a program that has a longer fuse than Mudiay's only year. Tired of the sleaze factor. You'll see much much more of this starting in 2016 with freshman redshirt rule going into effect
Last edited by Stallion on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Junior » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:35 pm

so it looks like our rotation will be exactly the same as last year, with martin and tolbert replacing the minutes of russell & williams.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby gostangs » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:37 pm

martin better have better handles than I think he has. Also - hoping Keith can rise - we will need big points and attack of the rim from him.

guard minutes just got way easier to figure out.
gostangs

Postby untitled » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:39 pm

Without Russell to share PG duties with Nic, I guess this means we'll see a lot more Ryan Manuel in 2014-15. I hope he's working [deleted] his jumpshot this offseason.
untitled
Varsity

Postby blackoutpony » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:42 pm

You're on crack if you think Mudiay not coming here this year is doing us a favor. Maybe you and Big12 are one in the same.

Good grief....
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby B1GPonyFan » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:46 pm

blackoutpony wrote:You're on crack if you think Mudiay not coming here this year is doing us a favor. Maybe you and Big12 are one in the same.

Good grief....

Did you even read anything or did you just do your typical "read the headline and pop off" act that you always do?
B1GPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Glenn Sosbee » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:03 pm

B1GPonyFan wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:You're on crack if you think Mudiay not coming here this year is doing us a favor. Maybe you and Big12 are one in the same.

Good grief....

Did you even read anything or did you just do your typical "read the headline and pop off" act that you always do?

Much needed laugh there.
Pony P-1
Glenn Sosbee
All-American

Postby blackoutpony » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:20 pm

B1GPonyFan wrote:

Good grief....

Read your post 3 times to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I don't think I could get drunk enough to see how the best player we have ever signed in a sport not coming is a good thing. Yes, obviously there are issues, but there is no good coming out of this for us one way or another.

And for the record, I'm, once again, not sure what you're talking about with the "read the headline and pop off" thing. I always read everything because I'm not a fan of sounding like an idiot like some people on here.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby B1GPonyFan » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:28 pm

Try this out hypothetically....

If Mudiay comes to SMU with the NCAA investigating his amateurism and then all of the sudden the smoking gun is exposed during the season or after the season, 2014-15 pretty much is null and void.

SMU gets stripped of whatever it accomplishes meaning the season is forfeited. And it would have been all because someone who would have put SMU in jeopardy. The moment he steps on campus, he drags the university into this.

By him going overseas, IMO he's acknowledging the dirt that is coming to the surface and it's better to get out now before this incident potentially wrecks the program.

That's how bad this could have been. Would SMU want to take that chance of him being cleared? Mudiay made it easy for SMU.

We had that scare with Keith Frazier last January before SMU debunked it. But it happened before the loss at South Florida, a loss that may have cost us a trip to the NCAA tournament.

And please don't accuse me of taking drugs or abusing alcohol if I have a point that is different from yours. It's a sophomoric approach and very much offensive. Find a different way to disagree.
B1GPonyFan
Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:32 pm

B1G is right in the sense that it's better this happened now instead of in November.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Pony147 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:35 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:B1G is right in the sense that it's better this happened now instead of in November.

That's true. They still have most of their summer practices to adjust their rotations and game plans
"[College] referees couldn't manage a White Castle." -Mark Cuban
Pony147
Heisman

Postby blackoutpony » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:37 pm

B1GPonyFan wrote:Try this out hypothetically....

If Mudiay comes to SMU with the NCAA investigating his amateurism and then all of the sudden the smoking gun is exposed during the season or after the season, 2014-15 pretty much is null and void.

SMU gets stripped of whatever it accomplishes meaning the season is forfeited. And it would have been all because someone who would have put SMU in jeopardy. The moment he steps on campus, he drags the university into this.

By him going overseas, IMO he's acknowledging the dirt that is coming to the surface and it's better to get out now before this incident potentially wrecks the program.

That's how bad this could have been. Would SMU want to take that chance of him being cleared? Mudiay made it easy for SMU.

We had that scare with Keith Frazier last January before SMU debunked it. But it happened before the loss at South Florida, a loss that may have cost us a trip to the NCAA tournament.

I 100% understand everything you're saying and it makes sense, it's just you never know what the NCAA will or won't do. If you were to make a fight over someone, Eman would be that person. Maybe it's worse than we all think. Maybe it isn't. :cry: Such a shame all the way around.

I think every ponyfan needs a hug and a beer right now regardless.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:54 pm

B1G is right on this one. Totally.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby malonish » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:55 pm

B1GPonyFan wrote:And please don't accuse me of taking drugs or abusing alcohol if I have a point that is different from yours. It's a sophomoric approach and very much offensive. Find a different way to disagree.

I think you are drinking because that is a fun activity we should all do.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Basketball