PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

So....

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

So....

Postby OhioBrownFan » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:02 pm

I'm starting to get more on-board with the cynical views of the NCAA around here. There are so many kids in basketball in question and the lone blue-chip SMU has brought in during the past 20 years happened to be investigated thoroughly. The NCAA clearing house is complete BS and a scam if I ever saw one. Ohio State had some trouble with D'Angelo Russel this year out of Montverde, he's cleared now but the NCAA Clearing House tied that one up for no reason for a good while. And IIRC, SMU had a heck of a time with Frazier.

First, Prime Prep is a joke and most people connected know this. They've had eligibility concerns for all their "student-athletes" from the day it opened. Hopefully Larry doesn't go to that well too often without covering his [deleted] first because it's been nothing but problems in relation to eligibility for the players coming out of that school.

Secondly, I wonder how SMU addresses this from a business perspective. What was going to be a top 10 team is now going to be on the back-end of the top 25 with the bouncy wing and back-up point guard the team lacked last year and still does not have with this set-back. Do they announce they will freeze ticket prices for next year? They can't go back on this year obviously.

Third, good lord this just sucks. I feel for the SMU community on this, I really don't know how I would feel if I grew up bleeding Stang red and blue if the basketball team that hadn't done anything in my lifetime just landed a player that changes a program instantly and then is taken away before ever playing. Cruelest joke I think I've heard. This sucks.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Re: So....

Postby GiddyUp » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:06 pm

We are used to it by now unfortunately (those of us who have been around 20 yrs +) - par for the course
GiddyUp
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyinNC » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:08 pm

it is like battered wife syndrome - we expect it now.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby OhioBrownFan » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:08 pm

And no, this isn't my most insightful/helpful/well-thought-out post ever so I apologize in advance. It's hard for me to keep what is happening in prospective I'm so pissed off. This doesn't do the board much good, just venting to vent.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:09 pm

OhioBrownFan wrote:And no, this isn't my most insightful/helpful/well-thought-out post ever so I apologize in advance. It's hard for me to keep what is happening in prospective I'm so [deleted] off. This doesn't do the board much good, just venting to vent.

No, your post sums it up pretty well, actually.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby leopold » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:11 pm

Eh, you win some you lose some. As long as LB sticks around for another 5 or 6 years, it'll work out.

But this is what it's going to be like with actually talented players now. Is he going to stay? Is he going to leave and enter the draft? Welcome to the next level.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyFan32 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:11 pm

Well said, OBF. We can't have nice things. Suddenly the "should we be more excited this year or next?" has shifted decidedly in favor of next year, though I've really bought into so many of the guys on this team that I'll still be cheering loud and proud for the 2014-2015 squad even if our ceiling is more likely Sweet 16 than Final Four.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby Harry0569 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:11 pm

I feel like my gf just broke up with me, and this winter I'll see her out driving with a new bf in a Lambo.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby OhioBrownFan » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:13 pm

Harry0569 wrote:I feel like my gf just broke up with me, and this winter I'll see her out driving with a new bf in a Lambo.

I laff'd. Thanks for that, but yeah, pretty much is how I feel right now. I can't wait til the schools band together, P5, MAC schools, whatever, stick it to the NCAA and their BS.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:17 pm

OBF, this is the first time I've allowed myself to get excited about something SMU before it actually happened, and that's my fault. It is battered wife syndrome. When he didn't enroll last week I had a bad feeling....

On the flip side, we still have a very talented team and a great staff. I guess if we want to be considered a major program, we've got to be bigger than any one player. It's just in typical SMU fashion we get that message delivered with a swift kick to nuts. It's never easy on the Hilltop. The NCAA will always make sure of that.

And back to my battered wife syndrome, I just hope this is all the news we get.
Last edited by LA_Mustang on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:18 pm

Would have been nice if Mudiay had made this decision before we committed scholarships to him and his benchwarming brother nine months ago. We are [deleted] at PG depth now
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby GiddyUp » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:32 pm

If we had another PG it wouldnt be as big a deal
GiddyUp

Postby B1GPonyFan » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:32 pm

SMU fans embracing or accepting the battered wife syndrome mentality speaks for itself. It's like you guys get off on it.
B1GPonyFan
Varsity

Postby SmooBoy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:35 pm

Larry Johnson - the Sequel
SmooBoy

Postby OhioBrownFan » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:36 pm

GiddyUp wrote:If we had another PG it wouldnt be as big a deal

Yup. That's where it really hurts. The drop-off is so steep that Nic can't afford to get injured or in foul trouble. And this was what was addressed in the past recruiting cycle. Back to square one.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball